The Old Folks Home

Beer,
That's a lovely article. I had no idea it was so labor intensive to grow a tree, but I guess I never really thought too much about it. Always had a live tree, cut your own, and my current seller since I've been in Maine has a lovely farm and a nice family, but i'll let them know they need cocoa and cider.
I'll also let them know that Ripley would like to set up a kissing booth there next year, provided she hasn't died from eating something stupid.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder to go water the thing. I forgot the last 2 nights.

Great kiddo, @Beer can. You have every reason to be proud of her.

We have a defunct Christmas tree farm next to us to the west.Funny thing about it being where it is is that the Conservation Forrester told us that pines are notorious for not doing well around our area due to the number of ridges and poor soil content because of the ridges. As a result, Red Cedar does very well on the ridges but the trees preferred for Christmas trees will grow to maturity and then die off. Sure enough, the field was full of half dead and dead pine trees with a few scattered survivors that were hanging on and spreading seeds everywhere.

We have a huge pine between our house and the road that we keep around because it is doing surprisingly well along with a few nice young pines that are coming up near the fence line. Bucks are notorious for using them to hone their antlers till the trees are just toothpicks in the ground.

The neighbor finally had somebody come in and clear out the dead trees in his pasture. There are still hundreds of them that haven't been cleared out yet. It was a shame they died out as the deer loved to bed down in them.

It's a shame that the original owners just abandoned the business. I think the sign is still up down on the corner. And all we have to do when somebody asks us where we live is say 'next to the old Christmas tree farm'. Everybody remembers it.

Thanks @chickadoodles.

I took the time to write the research professor/doctor at Mizzou last night who is doing the research on DM and told her Dingo's story. Maybe knowing the disease is showing up in local Australian cattle dogs will help them track where the disease has occurred in Missouri. She is instrumental in the discovery of the genes that cause MD and has started working on drug combinations that will suppress the genes becoming active in a dog. I think right now they have been working with GSD and Boxers but have also passed their research on to the people who are doing ALS research in people.

I also asked her about our chances of having the disease pop up on another Cattle dog should we decide to get a pup in the future. DH asked me the other night what I would do if another one showed up here. I told him we would love it but we would probably take it down to Mizzou for testing and if the genes were present, get it on one of the trial regimens for DM.

I still get the shivers though when I stop and think about Dingo's littermates out there either dying as he did or being bred by stupid Amish puppy mills with their defective genes being spread over the area.:barnie

Thanks @chickadoodles.

I took the time to write the research professor/doctor at Mizzou last night who is doing the research on DM and told her Dingo's story. Maybe knowing the disease is showing up in local Australian cattle dogs will help them track where the disease has occurred in Missouri. She is instrumental in the discovery of the genes that cause MD and has started working on drug combinations that will suppress the genes becoming active in a dog. I think right now they have been working with GSD and Boxers but have also passed their research on to the people who are doing ALS research in people.

I also asked her about our chances of having the disease pop up on another Cattle dog should we decide to get a pup in the future. DH asked me the other night what I would do if another one showed up here. I told him we would love it but we would probably take it down to Mizzou for testing and if the genes were present, get it on one of the trial regimens for DM.

I still get the shivers though when I stop and think about Dingo's littermates out there either dying as he did or being bred by stupid Amish puppy mills with their defective genes being spread over the area.:barnie
I hope the information can help the research.

Back
Top Bottom