The Old Folks Home

Something that baffles me a little about the weather here, is when the temperatures drop, it almost always gets very windy. The temperatures don't just drop, and that's that. No, we have to get both cold, and lots of wind.

Normally, it doesn't bother me, but a couple months ago, my daughter brought me some cuttings from various Crepe Myrtles. I put them in water, and they finally got some little roots. About 3 weeks ago, I planted them. They were doing fine. Last night, I covered them, so they wouldn't freeze. This morning, I found the cover had blown off of 1 of them. I don't know exactly what time it happened, or how long it was uncovered, but I can only hope it will be ok. I had about 5 potted plants that I brought in, so they're fine.

The temperatures are suppose to go back up this afternoon, to around 61 degrees, but we are still having 11 mph winds. It's only going down in the 50's tonight, so later on, I'll uncover all my plants, and take the ones inside, back out.

While I was concerned about my plants, several of my friends were concerned about their pipes freezing. That was not really one of my concerns. Yes, the temperatures dropped to freezing, but they have to remain that low for some time, before the water starts freezing in the pipes. Plus, with as many people as I have living here, the toilets get used, and flushed enough during the night, that I was not concerned in the least about the pipes freezing.

Valerie J, pull up a rocking chair, and talk away.
animated-welcome-image-0082.gif

Something that baffles me a little about the weather here, is when the temperatures drop, it almost always gets very windy. The temperatures don't just drop, and that's that. No, we have to get both cold, and lots of wind.

Normally, it doesn't bother me, but a couple months ago, my daughter brought me some cuttings from various Crepe Myrtles. I put them in water, and they finally got some little roots. About 3 weeks ago, I planted them. They were doing fine. Last night, I covered them, so they wouldn't freeze. This morning, I found the cover had blown off of 1 of them. I don't know exactly what time it happened, or how long it was uncovered, but I can only hope it will be ok. I had about 5 potted plants that I brought in, so they're fine.

The temperatures are suppose to go back up this afternoon, to around 61 degrees, but we are still having 11 mph winds. It's only going down in the 50's tonight, so later on, I'll uncover all my plants, and take the ones inside, back out.

While I was concerned about my plants, several of my friends were concerned about their pipes freezing. That was not really one of my concerns. Yes, the temperatures dropped to freezing, but they have to remain that low for some time, before the water starts freezing in the pipes. Plus, with as many people as I have living here, the toilets get used, and flushed enough during the night, that I was not concerned in the least about the pipes freezing.
I wonder if the wind and cold have something to do with the Ocean?

Our pipes very rarely freeze here!

I hear the Iguanas are getting so cold they are falling out of their trees....

deb

View attachment 2008553

Come in and enjoy the conversations!
Thanks! I'd like that!
Welcome to the group. Plenty of empty rocking chairs around. Just have a seat.
Thank you. I'll take this one over here.
Valerie J, pull up a rocking chair, and talk away.
View attachment 2008563
Thanks for putting out the welcome mat for me!
I hear the Iguanas are getting so cold they are falling out of their trees....

deb
Oh no! Poor babies!

The iguanas are not dead. They're cold blooded, so when they get too cold, the go into a deep hibernation. When they warm up, they're fine. One of the news channels carried a story about a fool collecting all the frozen iguanas, and putting them in his car. They warmed up, and "came to life", and he wrecked his car. Snakes, and bees can do that too.

Back
Top Bottom