The Olive-Egger thread!

All of my incubated eggs have veining! (Though I couldn't see veining inside of my Cuckoo Maran eggs, I left them in anyway.)

Congrats!
wee.gif

Siper exciting. Happy Hatching!

Wondering if anybody else noticed that egg color might vary depending on comb type. I had six Olive Eggers. Three were single comb and three are combination or pea comb. The single comb birds had the darkest and most olive colored eggs of the six. The non-single comb bird's eggs are much more in the range of a greenish blue than olive. All come from the same Marans male. Kern

Wondering if anybody else noticed that egg color might vary depending on comb type. I had six Olive Eggers. Three were single comb and three are combination or pea comb. The single comb birds had the darkest and most olive colored eggs of the six. The non-single comb bird's eggs are much more in the range of a greenish blue than olive. All come from the same Marans male. Kern
It must be a difference in the brown genes and how they combine--The OEs with straight combs are likely from Cream Legbar hens. If they were EE or Ameraucana hens, then they would usually have combination combs since the blue egg shell gene is closely associated with the pea comb.

Of course you could be seeing the results of chance and gene inheritance
hmm.png

I have a 3rd generation eggs that have just begun laying and some of them are amazing. I can't wit to go one more generation to get it just a little darker. Waiting for a few months as they are small right now. Unfortunately at this point I can't see through them when cadleing. So it will be a lesson in faith!

I have a 3rd generation eggs that have just begun laying and some of them are amazing. I can't wit to go one more generation to get it just a little darker. Waiting for a few months as they are small right now. Unfortunately at this point I can't see through them when cadleing. So it will be a lesson in faith!

Would love to see pictures. Kern

Day 7: Down to 26 out of 27, early death for one Welsummer egg. I did see movement in about half of the remaining eggs and good veining in the rest.

Back
Top Bottom