The Olive-Egger thread!

Lighting and background color play a big role in how your eggs look in pictures.

Some of my olive eggs from the past... no adjustments to color necessary.
wink.png

THAT is the color I want!!!
ep.gif
Are you sure this is not enhanced?
wink.png

Dear olive egg experts,

My f1 generation of olive eggers started to lay last fall. I crossed some of my best Marans roosters, with my best blue egg laying hens. I was pleased with the results as shown here

What I am thinking of doing this spring, is crossing my best olive laying hens back to my best blue egg roosters (the roosters that I hatched from my bluest eggs). I am sure that some of you have done this. Does it deepen the green further? I will probably cross back to the dark egg roosters as well. My little olive egg girls are the best, they lay tons of eggs.

Thanks for your advice, it may be somewhere in this thread but it will take me months to read all of it.
pop.gif

Dear olive egg experts, My f1 generation of olive eggers started to lay last fall. I crossed some of my best Marans roosters, with my best blue egg laying hens. I was pleased with the results as shown here What I am thinking of doing this spring, is crossing my best olive laying hens back to my best blue egg roosters (the roosters that I hatched from my bluest eggs). I am sure that some of you have done this. Does it deepen the green further? I will probably cross back to the dark egg roosters as well. My little olive egg girls are the best, they lay tons of eggs. Thanks for your advice, it may be somewhere in this thread but it will take me months to read all of it. :pop
I have crossed the color at the very bottom of your photo back to blue, and it basically yields blue (albeit with a slight greenish tint). It depends on what you mean by your "best olive laying hens". I would only cross the very darkest, almost bronze olives back to blue if you want deeper green. I've found I get the most variety of greens by crossing different OE hens with an OE rooster. Hopefully someone else will give some advice, as I don't have a ton of experience or knowledge of genetics.

Thanks for the advice.
big_smile.png
I plan to cross back to my best dark egg Maran roosters. Since I hatched them, I know who came from the darkest eggs, and have also verified that their daughters lay nice dark eggs. I was just wondering about the blue. I was hoping for a dark teal color. I plan on experimenting this spring with hatching the chicks,
jumpy.gif
but I wont know until fall what they will lay. It is so hard to wait...
he.gif
I have 12 young hens laying olive, so I have some material to select from. I have one that is a daughter of a Maran hen who doesn't lay a dark egg, but has escaped the

stew pot because she lays a lovely speckled egg. Her daughter from a blue egg rooster is a lovely speckled green, that reminds me of a pear and her eggs are also larger than mom's. I have a few

others that lay speckled eggs. I will post some pics.

Here are eggs from the speckled mom and olive daughter:

Here are some more of the olive eggs...I guess I prefer the greener eggs over the over the browner ones, maybe that is just a weird personal preference:

Back
Top Bottom