The perch experiment

I love this as I have different roost setups in the coop, day pen, compost area and run....
Q: I think I missed it, but how big is your flock? how do they all fit on the left side? In the coop, my 10 spread out on the top two and occasionally one or two is on the lowest rung 2 x 3 (x 5')... they seem to like the roosts in the coop, but sit on the branches in the day pen and the 2 x 4s in the compost pile and the swing in the run....looks like your results are basically showing that the birds adjust and roost on just about anything!

I love this as I have different roost setups in the coop, day pen, compost area and run....
Q: I think I missed it, but how big is your flock? how do they all fit on the left side? In the coop, my 10 spread out on the top two and occasionally one or two is on the lowest rung 2 x 3 (x 5')... they seem to like the roosts in the coop, but sit on the branches in the day pen and the 2 x 4s in the compost pile and the swing in the run....looks like your results are basically showing that the birds adjust and roost on just about anything!
I currently have 8. The top roost is 8 feet. Normally when I have one bar completely across they spread out a bit more. With the tests they have been bunching closer together. They just barely fit on one side when they try. In another week or so I'll have to figure out a curve to the results since they are outgrowing the test.

This week's results are posted. I apologize for the delay. Testing has to be suspended for some time due to work related issues. I will still be monitoring the discussion as best I can, please understand if I don't respond quickly it's due to work.
Not sure how much else you were going to do,
but what has already been tested was extensive enough to be pretty revealing.
Great Job!

When time becomes available again I'm interested in seeing what effect different diameters has. Do they prefer to wrap and grab, or roost semi flat footed? I also have reached a point where I have to devise a curve to the results. They have grown enough to not all fit on an individual side. I would just build a bigger coop, but my better 3\4 has already informed me that doing so I would have to make it big enough for me also.:D

So I'd like to add to this experiment.
From store bought hatching we started them with small Dowling rods. So as they grew I would upgrade to larger diameter rods. We maxed out at 1" diameter rods.

Several months pasted and they either were on the top rail or the makeshift "Indian bed" style top of a dog crate.
So when I rebuilt the roosting rails across a poop tray w/pdz in it I went with a 2*4*8 in the wide, flat top mode initially. 1st night 85+% used the 2*4. 2nd night onward ~ 50% used the 2*4. For 2 weeks I left it that way... Less and less would use the 2*4 beam(wide side up). Desided to extend the experiment.

Mounted the 1" diameter Dowling rod directly center-atop the current 2*4 beam.
Will get picture of this, unfortunately looks like I'll need to get and rebuild the roost rail as maybe 2-3 use it every night. (The PZD sand tells the truth.)

Next redue will be the 1" dowl rod only. And I've got to relocate the setup as the two steps from ladder to roost are now the "hottest place to roost." /Facepalm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom