Pics
Growing fast!

20210707_184309.jpg
20210707_184239.jpg
20210707_184500.jpg
20210707_184250.jpg
20210707_184327.jpg
20210707_184455.jpg

I LOVE POLISH!! My first ever chick was a polish! And let me just say she was probably the best chicken I will ever have. We ordered her and about 20 other chicks with her last year in August. When we opened our chick box I fell in love with her. I named her baby Margo and held her at least 4 hours per day! But when she got about 2 months old one of our other pullets started plucking out her head feathers and eating them! So we had to put her in a chick cage with our (used to be) delayed pullet Henri (short for Henrietta). Henri is a cream legbar who also has a squinty eye. But then Henri started to bully Margo too, so we had to make a separate coop for polishes. Unfortunately we didn’t have any other polishes to go with her. So we had to leave her by herself in the coop until we had more. She got so excited to see me whenever I went outside and she would come over to me to be picked up and got sad when I left. She then started responding to her name being called!😂 She didn’t start laying until 7 months and her eggs always had the most orange yolks. Then we got 6 new polish chicks to go with her! We thought they were almost all roosters and once they grew up we found out that they were all girls except for one! But then the most tragic thing happened exactly last month! She died.☹️ I held her until she was gone. It was very heartbreaking but she was very spoiled and hopefully very happy. Now we have our 6 polishes with 3 more polish chicks.
Picture #1: Baby Margo
Picture #2: Margo
Picture #3: Wet Margo😂
Picture #4: Boo Boo and Sunny (2 of our other polishes)
Picture 5: Margo and Henri from in the cage
1EA15AC2-B91A-411F-B622-FD9835ADD26C.jpeg
B179BF98-3CE5-4F70-B414-92ACAB9EC567.jpeg
C1189D3A-F3B2-4D61-98AC-442F7644E735.jpeg
5E161488-6B11-476E-B801-A29FBE21124C.jpeg
39F73840-81A0-4780-8185-465BDFC3396C.jpeg

Mr. Peabody is in DESPERATE need of an eyebrow trim, but I'm TERRIFIED I'll hurt him! He's not overly-fond of being held as it is, and the thought of trying to restrain him AND use scissors on him has got my nerves going already.

I know it's for his benefit, as he's already walking into things and 'losing his girls' in open areas of the yard, but, to be honest, I feel more comfortable trimming infants' fingernails than his crest feathers. 😩

Also, the feathers needing trimmed are his darker ones, so how do I tell if they're still blood-fed or not?View attachment 2731829
The trimming of crest feathers is best done with a second person to hold the bird.

As for how much: start slowly progressing and rather leave 1-2 cm than cutting too low if you fear to cause bleeding. Usually there should be no bleeding unless the feathers are new and the sheath still visible around the shaft.

Your Polish is a lucky guy to have you as a sensible owner that is putting his health, security and overall wellbeing over the "cuteness" of the debilitating overgrown crest. :thumbsup

I'm having to sell my frizzle bearded gold laced polish hen. So sad. She just attacked another hen's chicks today. Had one of them in her beak and tossed it like a ragdoll. I also think it was her that killed another chick a couple weeks ago.

She is lovely with people. Baby chicks, no 😔

I LOVE POLISH!! My first ever chick was a polish! And let me just say she was probably the best chicken I will ever have. We ordered her and about 20 other chicks with her last year in August. When we opened our chick box I fell in love with her. I named her baby Margo and held her at least 4 hours per day! But when she got about 2 months old one of our other pullets started plucking out her head feathers and eating them! So we had to put her in a chick cage with our (used to be) delayed pullet Henri (short for Henrietta). Henri is a cream legbar who also has a squinty eye. But then Henri started to bully Margo too, so we had to make a separate coop for polishes. Unfortunately we didn’t have any other polishes to go with her. So we had to leave her by herself in the coop until we had more. She got so excited to see me whenever I went outside and she would come over to me to be picked up and got sad when I left. She then started responding to her name being called!😂 She didn’t start laying until 7 months and her eggs always had the most orange yolks. Then we got 6 new polish chicks to go with her! We thought they were almost all roosters and once they grew up we found out that they were all girls except for one! But then the most tragic thing happened exactly last month! She died.☹️ I held her until she was gone. It was very heartbreaking but she was very spoiled and hopefully very happy. Now we have our 6 polishes with 3 more polish chicks.
Picture #1: Baby Margo
Picture #2: Margo
Picture #3: Wet Margo😂
Picture #4: Boo Boo and Sunny (2 of our other polishes)
Picture 5: Margo and Henri from in the cage View attachment 2751573View attachment 2751570View attachment 2751571View attachment 2751572View attachment 2751575
RIP Margo. She was beautiful.

I'm having to sell my frizzle bearded gold laced polish hen. So sad. She just attacked another hen's chicks today. Had one of them in her beak and tossed it like a ragdoll. I also think it was her that killed another chick a couple weeks ago.

She is lovely with people. Baby chicks, no 😔
Oh that's sad. Can you keep the chicks confined until older?

Back
Top Bottom