• OBVIOUSLY

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • they are my life

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • love them

Votes: 75 38.9%

• Total voters
Pics
My HawkBait is in isolation (rabbit stacker cage in the yard) because she was plucked bloody and disoriented (she has a vaulted skull and we think she got hit on it hard, we werent sure she would make it over the first night honestly). She has a D'uccle female that goes inside the cage to hang out sometimes and eat with her and she seems to be doing much better after a few days
Poor thing! I hope she will be ok. ❤😔
I have 2 D'uccles and they are so gentle.. hopefully they will be a good match w the polish chicks once they are grown..

I have a polish/silkie cross that also got hit hard on the head a few months ago by my Wyandotte. She was not plucked though. I thought she was going to die for sure. She recovered after a few days, but does seem a bit "slow" ever since. She lives in the bantam coop now with the nicer chickens and does just fine there. 😊

Poor thing! I hope she will be ok. ❤😔
I have 2 D'uccles and they are so gentle.. hopefully they will be a good match w the polish chicks once they are grown..
She's doing much much better a few days after it had happened. I'm keeping her isolated though until I have the polish completely separated in their own pen.

Actually very true.. either one will sit with her eyes closed while the other plucks away. The cochin let's both the D'uccles pluck her at the same time.. she's looking like she's at the spa or something! 💆‍♀️💅💇‍♀️ She just has so much fluff, you can't tell!

They eat feather fixer, so the feathers grow back in rapidly. But they get scratch and worms, plenty of calcium and the high protein feed, so I'm sure it's not nutritional.
Yep. I'm sure the same is true for my girls. They seem to enjoy it. Now, I do have an australorp that one of the EEs just doesn't like. The EE will jump her and pull feathers - that is bullying. But, she went through a phase and it seems to be better.

So on my probable male.. i see a tint of pink on the wattles.. same w suspect #2..... the other 2, that I was counting on being possible females have teenie little nubs for wattles.. not pink, but not flat 😬 I'll be really bummed if i ended up w 4 boys.

They are screaming like im going to cook them into chicken nuggets when i hold them, so I'll give it a few more days before pics. They will be 4 weeks on Wednesday.

@LadiesAndJane did your females have yellow wattle nubs? 😟

Here are my non-closeups.. taken today.
20210816_155924.jpg 20210816_155918.jpg

So on my probable male.. i see a tint of pink on the wattles.. same w suspect #2..... the other 2, that I was counting on being possible females have teenie little nubs for wattles.. not pink, but not flat 😬 I'll be really bummed if i ended up w 4 boys.

They are screaming like im going to cook them into chicken nuggets when i hold them, so I'll give it a few more days before pics. They will be 4 weeks on Wednesday.

@LadiesAndJane did your females have yellow wattle nubs? 😟
Hard to remember that far back, but I do recall they started getting red about 3-4 months of age, but were still small, then suddenly got much bigger about a month before they started laying.😊

Back
Top Bottom