The Pet Pigeon Thread

NathanZee

Songster
Jul 1, 2015
Land of Sky Blue Waters
Welcome to the pet pigeons thread! I hope we can all have a fun time talking about our pigeons.

Some suggested topics to start off...

Where our pigeons live?

What kind of pigeons we have?

How many we have?

What we feed them?

What are their names?

There are a few people that I know have pigeons on here, so I'll tag all your names.
big_smile.png

@GoldenFlight ,

@Lozuufy

@caesargirl

@Spyderk117

I know I'm forgetting someone....
hu.gif

And someone who doesn't have pigeons yet, but is on her way to selling all her chickens and getting some.
lau.gif

@Alexandra33

To start the conversation, a lovely little baby.
love.gif

I'll start off with answering the questions.

Where our pigeons live?
My pigeons live in our large coop along with our ducks. I don't have any great pictures of their home right now since we repainted but I will take some soon.

I and my brother have 6 Birmingham Rollers, 1 Oriental Roller, 1 Kormorner Tumbler, 1 feral, 1 Lahore, 1 German Modena, and two Oriental/Kormorner crossbreeds.

How many we have?
I guess I just listed that above, 13.
tongue.png

What we feed them?
They get Kaytee bird seed (I can't remember what it's called), Safflower, and occasional treats.

What are their names?
In order of how long we have had them:

Everest
Pearl
Reuben
Ellen
Marco
Taylor
Cloey
Tauriel
Susan
Philip
Lauren

The two babies don't have names yet, I'm open to suggestions!

Some pictures!

This is Everest incubating Marco and Taylor as eggs.

Everest and Pearl flying.

Marco and Taylor almost grown up, in June.

Tauriel and Susan as babies.

Cloey as a baby. She was the most awkward looking, adorable baby pigeon ever!
lau.gif

Some of the pigeons out foraging

Marco has recently molted into adult plumage, and he is very very proud of his glistening neck feathers!

I'll post more pictures soon when I can take some!

Okay, sorry for the delay! Here are some pictures taken in the last couple weeks.

This is Taylor

Reuben and Ellen

Isabelle

In "height" order: Taylor, Marco, Everest, and Pearl

Cole

Marco and Taylor

Pearl and Everest

Phillip taking a little nap

Cole

Ellen

Marco and Taylor

Pearl

Katelyn

Reuben

We got three new pigeons a couple weeks ago, the next warm day we have I will take good pictures of them.

Welcome to the pet pigeons thread! I hope we can all have a fun time talking about our pigeons.

Some suggested topics to start off...

Where our pigeons live?

How many we have?

What we feed them?

What are their names?
Where my pigeons live....

My first few 3 pairs lived in a big wire dog crate each in back yard. Let out to fly every day and shut in at night. As they had babies I built them a coop. Now they have a lot and I moved house.. so then made them a big wire aviary in the garden to live in with the back, top and one side solid and sand as the floor. They all still come out to play every afternoon for a few hours.

What kind of pigeons I have..

Old Dutch Capuchines, Red, White, Black, Tiger and Pied.
2 female White homers
Many mix breeds... Dutch Capuchine X white homers X utility kings in various combinations.

How many I have....

Started with 3 pairs... pair each of each breed.... now have a lot... not counted them... think down to about 30 after I sold a lot... and I have stopped them breeding for now.. giving them fake eggs to look after. I still have my original pigeons from 9 years ago that got me started (except my king pigeons which I sold). Even though I have so many pigeons I do recognize them all... even the pure white ones have different eyes or faces, or shapes and behave differently.

What I feed them.....

Chicken layer pellets, mixed small grains, dry green peas and also raw peanuts as treats and for training them to come back when called. They also have oyster shell and grit.

What are their names.

My original bird's name's.

Black Capuchine Pair..... Coal and Lady.
Brown Capuchine Pair..... Teddy and Mocha
White Capuching Pair..... Snowball and Icy.
White Homer female Pair.... Sky and Cloud.

Some of the mix breeds have names....
Tiger who has lots of red stripes and spots,
Eagle (she has colours of American bald eagle and is huge),
Sooty (White with grey dusting on head, neck and black wing and tail bars).

Also have one very mean bully female white homer X king pigeon called Nasty. She is the boss of the coop. I would have sold her a long time ago, but she has one very good virtue... she is great at fostering and rearing orphaned squabs... and even hatches out a few bantam chicken eggs sometimes. She is the best mother pigeon I have.. very attentive and protective of her babies.

I will try to get some photos tomorrow and show you a few of my pets.

Thanks guys, sounds like you have lovely pigeons! What kind of layer pellets do you give? I have been trying to find something with good high protein, but any high protein bird seed is really expensive.
hmm.png

I can't wait to see more pics!

You don't need a high protein pellet. Pigeons naturally only eat grains.... too much protein can be harmful to them.

Just feed a standard chicken layer pellet... together with some mixed grains.

Okay, cool! I forgot, how many pigeons do you have?

Not that many. Not really set up to have much more than I have now.

1 pair Creme Lucernes
1 pair of really nice Mini Indian Fantails
and
the 1st pair of normal sized Indian Fantails, turned out the breeder wasn't honest. They weren't mini's and the male has umbrella tail. The umbrella tail male is looking for a pet home if anyone is interested.

I feed them seed for pigeons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom