The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PetRock, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.

Great!!!
    I'll set collected eggs this weekend, currently in the Bator TJ's eggs.

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Me, too! 3 PP eggs under broody and 3 in 'bator. Also the test of my Splash Marans, which are developing nicely. The Marans egg shells are so thick, though, they have trouble getting out!

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    try using a cool down cycle for them.

turn off the incubator for two hours a day from day 8 to lockdown. The cool down cycle has been studied and it has been shown to help chicks hatch better. On average, one more chick will hatch for every set of eggs hatched.

The chicks will be healthier too.

1 person likes this.
  4. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    One pip!!!! Go, Babies, go!!! [​IMG]

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I can't wait for pictures!

6. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Cute chick pics always welcome!

7. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    One hatching and 3 more pips! [​IMG]

8. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Updates, Debi? Nothing on my end yet. I guess they need the full 21 days! You set your on Friday, and I on Saturday late afternoon, correct? Just trying to get a timeline here...

I know the Marans are slow/late hatchers. Just worrying about the PP eggs...

9. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Well, this is truly a test hatch in every way. After all the chicks I hatched last year, I made a couple mistakes with this batch. I was using a clear plastic container from Costco to keep the 3 biggest hen eggs separate from the pullet eggs. One chick hatched yesterday evening and it didn't dawn on me until the middle of the night that I forgot to put paper towel or shelf liner in the bottom of the container. Poor chick was on it's back because it couldn't stand on the slick surface. Sigh... So I opened my Hovabator and pulled the chick out into the main part with the other ones. He/she is a big, fluffy chick and is doing fine now. Then I had 2 that pipped and partial zipped then stopped for over 12 hours. So, I intervened and helped them because they were shrink wrapped in the egg. It was at this point that I remembered that I stopped hatching eggs in the cut down egg cartons and opted for hatching them on their side. It worked much better for me last year doing it that way.

Then this morning, I let my birds out and my broody was having a major fit in her dog kennel. I opened the door to check on her and she bolted out. She had 3 chicks in the process of hatching. Not knowing if she would be back or when she would come back, I grabbed the 3 and stuck them in the incubator. She still has 3 unhatched eggs without pips and she finally came back to the nest. Of the 3 that I grabbed, 2 are shrink wrapped in the shell so I will give them a little time and then help if I have to.

I am hoping that the next hatch four days from now goes smoother.

10. caychris

caychris Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Antioch Ca
    Need pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by