The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PetRock, Aug 25, 2014.

1. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    [​IMG]
    Here's the PP chick peeking out!
    Dilemma: should I take the "best" and or "peeping" eggs from the incubator and put them under Ethel for the night? I don't know what's going on there as the incubator is at my friend's house---we divided the old Brower in half (with a wire fence) and her chicks have been hatching all night on her side. Nada on my side so far. Thoughts??

2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Cute!

She will only sit on eggs for a couple of days after the first one hatch. It might be best to let her adopt them after they hatch.

3. caychris

caychris Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Antioch Ca
    Im sure Debi and Ron can fill in more.

To our knowledge all the birds in america at present come from a single set of Hatching eggs brought in.

There are several breeders looking to import more in order to improve the genetic diversity.

I thing Ron's birds and Debi's birds are about as diverse as you can get right now because they were split off from the original hatch.

To date we are unaware of any other birds in America that are not from the hatch.

I have a cockerel from Debi's birds Im hoping to breed to girls from Ron's

I think they are fantastic all around birds. Great temperment, good layers, fairly fast growers, taste great. Heat hardy for sure.

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Yes, the eggs in the old Brower incubator had an 8 hour lead time on set, so should have started hatching before Ethel's. She just started her hatch this morning, so I think I'll move the best-looking four eggs over to her and see if she can coax them out overnight. She'll hold tight another day.

5. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I've got four (of six eggs) out under Ethel! Two Marans and two Pita Pintas!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a good plan!

7. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Cute!

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    All true!

I have not heard from Megan since last year. She may have sold some hatching eggs last summer so there may more out there that we do not know of.

9. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I haven't heard from her, either. I send her a PM every once in a while but I'm still waiting for an answer.

10. ShadyGroveFarm1

ShadyGroveFarm1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Well my chickens aren't even laying now, and I'm planning on building a new coop. So after I kinda calm down with all the new improvements and figure out why they aren't laying, then I'll think about maybe starting with this breed. I still don't know yet... I might do Bresse, or Wheaten Ameraucana, or Ohiki... dang there's to many breeds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by