The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PetRock, Aug 25, 2014.

1. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Adorable! I have 10 hatched and 1 late pip. I am debating with myself on whether I should give my broody some chicks. She is sitting on 2 eggs but not sure they will hatch. She is a first time and I am hesitant to let her have chicks after she boogied off her nest this morning while 3 were hatching. I would feel terrible if she attacked them or didn't take care of them.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

They are very nice breeds!

Do you have an incubator?

3. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Yes, she sounds iffy. I had a gorgeous Wheaten Ameraucana a few years ago and I made the mistake of giving her chicks, even though she had spooked off a nest twice. I should have known better, but ever hopeful, I gave her some chicks when the expensive Paint Silkie eggs I had bought for her didn't hatch. Not a good outcome.

I just brought down one PP egg that was pipped in the incubator, and four others. Ethel took them like a champ, so we'll see. No movement on the PP egg that was still under her. I'm hoping for more chicks in the morning.

4. ronott1

I sent someone an email address but I do not know if that worked either.

I think be may be it for Pita Pintas now.

Any work on the import?

5. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.

I'm working on that.

6. ronott1

[​IMG] Keep us posted and let me know if you need help incubating or etc.

7. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Hey, Ron! This is my first time using the Premier heat plate with my new chicks. They went under last night and I haven't seen a single one come out. Do I need to adjust the height of the plate? It is so different than using a heat lamp. I don't like that I can't see the little buggers!

8. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.

My problem is the language :D I don't understand very well English.

9. ronott1

The height is fairly low for the first week. They need to be able to get under it and then push up to the plate when they are cold. It is a contact heater not an area heater so it heats them and not the brooder like a heat lamp.

I pick up the plate a couple of times a day to make sure the chicks are ok under it. I like the premier because it is so easy to adjust the height.

10. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Would you be able to define very low for me? [​IMG] And do you put the 2 back feet lower than the front 2? They seemed to be very happy under there this morning. They were huddled together but only making the occasional happy peep. A few of the bigger ones have been out now and duck back under after a while. One of them was peeping up a storm when he was by himself out from under the plate. Our cat thinks that I have set up some entertainment for him. Having 2 cats under a year and 1 that is approaching 3 yr in the house was a big reason why I went with the plate. I felt like I would be fighting a losing battle with them wanting to sleep under the heat lamp on top of the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by