The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knock Knees, split wing, crooked toes, crooked beak, growth retardation, slow feathering (must be feathered by 8 weeks), small head, messy barring (messy barrings is a deal breaker with cockerels. They won't be used or sold. They are used for meat only, but thankfully I don't get a whole lot).

If the girls have any of these features, they are sold as pets. I don't sell boys that are not good quality. Unless they are bought as chicks of course.

I'm really thankful I don't have a lot with these features this year. Some are definitely better than others, but this year is much better than last :)
Thank you -- having a list is very helpful!

All my Barred Rocks have crisp barring to my novice eyes -- but the only other barring I can compare it to is hatchery stock, which looks like barring on a TV with a slight vertical hold problem. (Yes, I'm that old.)
Within heritage Barred Rocks, could someone point me to a picture of really crisp barring vs. messy (but still heritage) barring? Thanks in advance!

Fred, it looks like someone decided to start laying today! I think this is earlier than you expected.
[/IMG]

Definitely a mix of parentage. It's hard to see by the photo but you may detect it in person, the head looks to have a silver area. If, and only if the mother was a barred bird then this chick is a male. If the father was the barred bird then it's anyone's guess as to the sex.

Anybody ever seen this from a barred chick?

Definitely a mix of parentage. It's hard to see by the photo but you may detect it in person, the head looks to have a silver area. If, and only if the mother was a barred bird then this chick is a male. If the father was the barred bird then it's anyone's guess as to the sex.
May I contribute to this?

I have my Barred Naked Necks in with my Barred Rocks, and have noticed this. Never with my Barred Rocks alone. So two Barred Parents CAN make a chick like this. I call them Blue Barred.. They are strange. Beautiful, and of course I love seeing it in my Naked Necks, but would not want that at all for my pure Barred Plymouth Rocks.

I thought Barred + Barred = Barred. I guess not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom