The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few pictures of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks that I took tonight after getting home from work. The heat lamp has got a red tint going on in the pictures, will get better pictures of them this weekend. :)

Cynthia,

A lot of what I just shared with Jill applies to your situation as well. If you want to preserve/create a high quality Barred Rock line, and who doesn't? hahaha You and I love these barred birds and those older Stukel hens need to make some chicks this year. Something to move forward with.

Cyn, it's gonna be a three year journey. Enjoy it. I know I would. We need projects and I love projects. It's put in us by our Creator. We love being creative and we love a challenge. I love the challenge and i think you would as well. Why not?

Take your best male and put him over the two best Stukel females and make some chicks. Next year, change up the players and rinse and repeat. Have fun. These are going to be Barred Rocks. That's the goal. They are Barred Rocks not because of pedigree, as poultry isn't like horses or dogs. We don't go by a pedigree. We go by type. What we see. If in two or three years, you breed some stunning Barred Rocks? (and I think you can) that's what they are. If they look like Barred Rocks and fulfill the Standard for the Barred Rock? Then, that is what they are. Period. Breed them to the Standard and that's what they are.

"Pure" in poultry language doesn't mean blood line, it means what we see with our eyes. When they look like Standard bred BR, that is what they are, pure BR. No if, ands, or buts about it.

I hope you go for it!!!!!
An perfect example of what Fred is saying here is the "Delaware" pullet Doug Akers did so well with a few years back as she was a cross of a non pure barred male over a New Hampshire. Mrs Kathy ended up with that hen. It sure played the part, looked the part though. I'll find a pic an post later my navigational skills are limited to not so quick of responses on here. Jeff

I have a 12' enclosed trailer that we haul birds in to shows. I can fit many more than 30 in there but that is about all I care to get ready to show.
sheesh and I thought getting 19 ready was bad. Even tho some of them have been bathed and shown recently still needed some touch ups but a lot have needed everything. I can't imagine doing more!

Mary, are you cooping in tonight or tomorrow morning?
In the morning; since I have no one to tend things here it is hard to get away; If I don't have tiny babies I can manage overnight by putting out extra feed and water, but don't want to risk longer than that. Will pack birds here shortly and leave by 430 am, pick up Deb by 6 and be there by 8, giving me barely an hour to unload and coop in. But I have washed and cleaned and primped these birds that unless they get dirty overnight should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom