The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. Havent had a lot of time to spend with the chickens for the past week or so until today. Let the barred rocks out to free range a litlle and noticed that the cockerel and two of the pullets have some gold starting to show in their saddles! I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing. Is it normal for this not to show up before 8 months old? With the 'not so great' shape of the cockerel, his slightly bent toes, the few black feathers in the pullets and now this, I'm wondering if i should give up on this quad before i even get started. Opinions please

Question. Havent had a lot of time to spend with the chickens for the past week or so until today. Let the barred rocks out to free range a litlle and noticed that the cockerel and two of the pullets have some gold starting to show in their saddles! I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing. Is it normal for this not to show up before 8 months old? With the 'not so great' shape of the cockerel, his slightly bent toes, the few black feathers in the pullets and now this, I'm wondering if i should give up on this quad before i even get started. Opinions please

It's not uncommon for both situations to arise. Pullets with black feathers here and there and males with gold leakage. The latter situation being of utmost concern to me. We probably culled 3/4 of our hatched males for 3 seasons to weed this out. Crooked combs were a similar high cull situation and yes, we started with exceptional birds and still, pushing the group forward required 1) a lot of chicks and 2) a lot of culling.

Unless you were to attend Shawnee or Knoxville or some other good sized show and pick up better stock, the breeding season opens in January (60 days) and early hatchings are typically done in February, climate and facilities permitting. These "early birds" are vital to any program as it is they who will mature early, before the dark days of next autumn close in. Chicks hatched later than April 1, struggle mightily to mature at the same rate and to the same extent. Early chicks are often one's best juveniles.

So, perhaps you'll have to follow the old adage to "start with what's in front of you". You can only breed what you have. But, I'd urge you to make every attempt at locating superior stock, this month. Time is slipping away for making arrangements for the 2015 season and soon, you'll be pushed back to 2016.

Black feathers In pullets: is it possible they'll disappear with their first adult molt? What's the thinking on a feather with iridescent green?

The standard allows for a limited number of black feathers. In my head? I only allow for 5 black feathers on a pullet. 7 or more black feathers and I don't breed the bird. That's just my rule of fat thumb.

The iridescent green is typical of black. Getting black, in any bird, without that green or in some cases purple, seems a challenge.

Thanks for the info, Mr.Fred. Its starting to look like these barred rocks may be more of a challenge than I'm up for, ha. My reds are looking better each day and conversely, I seem to find more fault with the rocks each day. Considering just cutting back to the one breed for the time being. I dont really want to sell any inferior birds to anyone so I may end up with some very expensive dumplings, lol. Again, thank you very much for the information

Thanks for the info, Mr.Fred. Its starting to look like these barred rocks may be more of a challenge than I'm up for, ha. My reds are looking better each day and conversely, I seem to find more fault with the rocks each day. Considering just cutting back to the one breed for the time being. I dont really want to sell any inferior birds to anyone so I may end up with some very expensive dumplings, lol. Again, thank you very much for the information

Well, that's really not a bad posture to take. To advance a group of birds, it honestly does take incubating and hatching a LOT of chicks. A lot more than most folks realize or are willing to commit the time, space and resources to do. The old "rule" of thumb was 100 chicks with 150 being even better. That's a lot of chicks.

I honestly believe there is so much wisdom in limiting oneself to the space, resources and time available to do a breed justice. I have found that I am better off working cooperatively with a half dozen folks than trying to do three varieties on my own. Too much. Each person has to find their own way in this and be comfortable in what they're doing. Nothing wrong with focusing heavily upon your Reds and just dabbling a bit with the Rocks on the side. They're enjoyable. But, it is good to be realistic about things stay focused on clear, attainable goals. Good luck.

I just got back from the Tucson show and my large fowl Barred Rocks were the only ones entered
hmm.png

Of course they did not win over the White Rocks. I took 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. I am excited, though, because I got a new Stukel cockerel to replace the one that the predator took a couple of months ago! He is about 7-8 months old. Will get photos of him later but he has nice wide tail feathers, something that my Good Shepard BR males seem to lack. And he's huge!

Got my Plymouth Rock Fancier's Club of America Fall newsletter in the mail a couple days ago and want to give the editor Brian Lewis a big thanks on the great job of putting it all together. I also want to thank all the Officers & Directors for keeping this great Plymouth Rock Poultry Club moving forward. :)

I also look forward to attending the APA National in Knoxville & meeting many Plymouth Rock breeders there. With work going full speed I plan to be there a few hours that Saturday but will not be able show any birds this time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom