The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got pics of the breeding hut in progress but didn't get the finished look. Miss Millie was the first to check it out, which was ironic as this will be her breeding station. She seemed to really like it and kept coming back to inspect it further and to scratch around.

Here's my hillbilly, no cost breeding hut....the roost is from my apple tree pruning, pallets were free. This hut backs up to our log shed.

Miss Millie inspects the work....

Checking to see if the roost is up to code....

I bungeed the front of the hut to the side walls so I could open it when I needed to, to remove the male from the roost when it's time to transfer out of the station.

Then the other breeders came to inspect the work...checking out the nest box.

Covered the sides so far up with roofing paper to keep out the blowing wind, left good open areas on the upper half of the walls for good air flow to the roosts. And that's how us hillbillies role....all materials free and on site.
cool.png

After I had done this my son came out to visit and told me that he could get me big wooden boxes/crates from work "anytime you want them, Mom".....
he.gif
Could be this breeding station will get a more modern face lift if what he brings me is more suitable than what I've cobbled together here. Maybe.....I kind of like the charm of the redneckability of it all.

Yay! Was finally able to get on the site! At least from this computer. I'll have to check on my computer later. Hopefully whatever was bugging out was fixed.

Yay! Was finally able to get on the site! At least from this computer. I'll have to check on my computer later. Hopefully whatever was bugging out was fixed.

You need to get an ad blocker for your browser. I use adblock plus. Availible for chrome and firefox. No ads for me anymore and full screen view without purchasing a gold membership.

Aps, for your browser. FIrefox calls it an add on. Chrome calls them exstention.

Last edited:
You need to get an ad blocker for your browser. I use adblock plus. Availible for chrome and firefox. No ads for me anymore and full screen view without purchasing a gold membership.

Aps, for your browser. FIrefox calls it an add on. Chrome calls them exstention.

I already had the blocker before I was having issues

Worked on the runs for the breeding pens today and am almost finished, so am putting my first breeding pair together tonight!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
This is so exciting!!!! I know I'm very late in the breeding season, but better late than never. Those pullet eggs are just as large as they need to be for the purpose of hatching, are at good shell strength and uniform shape and size, so I'm ready. He's ready. They are ready.

Will be applying the first leg bands tonight...don't know how these will work with free range chickens but we'll just have to see.

Weaver will stay with Beulah Mae for 4 days, then roll along to Little Mama's pen for 4 days, then will be visiting with my funzie breeder, Miss Millie for 3 days before being turned out into the gen pop for some good ol' free range and coop time. He's been penned up for a month now, so he'll be ready for it.

Here's a few pics of Miss Millie, the one I'm breeding just to see what pops out...she's from last fall's breeding of this WR male to a hatchery BA. She definitely got her width and other good points from her father...also got that little cushion, sad to say. Since she doesn't have to be SOP or anything, I don't mind that cushion, I'm more interested in her laying and meat prospects. She's a far cry from her mother's build right now but I hope she retains the good laying trait from that side.

I like her big ol' head, her deep chest and her wide hips...and I really like that she came into lay right at 6 mo. I hope to make her the foundation of my utility layers and see how things develop. Her tail is not usually this droopy...she was panting and wilting in the heat today a little, so holding her tail lower than normal.

She's got a nice, wide tent from her father...not a bit like the pinched and high tail of the hatchery BA.

Last edited:
Beulah Mae safely deposited into breeding pen #1...went in sweetly like a good WR female should do. Settled right down on the roost next to the big boy and will be at his breeding disposal for the next four days. Red leg band # 1 on the leg, her body checks out good...vent hugely receptive...and I mean HUGE. Skin is clean and healthy, feathers are the same. Body in good condition but not overly fat...just right. She's a sweety and I think she'll do well.

Praying for a good outcome in this breeding, incubation and hatching of these good WR birds. Will be taking a week long trout fishing trip smack dab in the middle of incubation, so will be transporting 'bators along with me to the vacation home. What a way to get chicks! I'm praying for a broody or two before then so I won't have to drag eggs along on my fishing trip.
gig.gif

A couple of pics of my first pair of breeders in the pens at long last....how can anyone say WRs are "plain"? Such snowy white and deepest red, not to mention the golden yellow! I find them to be stunningly beautiful, with no need for fancier plumage as their own is so very regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom