The price of fertile eggs!

Don Jr

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
sumrall,ms
Why in the world does a fertile eggs cost more than a chick? It is much easier to buy a chick, then it is to buy an egg and then incubate it. It makes no sense to me.

hmm IDK...Id would rather pay 50$ for a dozen eggs than 50$ FOR A bird. I might get 2-3 great birds out of 50$ than just 1.. Besides incubating is fun and you can really build a sweet relationship with your babies that way. I love it....

Quote:
I guess-if you have a choice when buying the chicks. I have bought chicks and I still would rather pay for eggs and sell the ones I dont want. Maybe it the fact I feel like Im getting more for my buck???

Quote:
really? Can you give an example--you dont have to mention names but maybe I never noticed that before? I do know if I needed a roo from a great high end breeder wait until winter when they are needing to get rid of them and they wind up being cheaper than in Spring....

You need to compare apples to apples. You seem to be compareing Hatchery Stock chicks to Eggs from Show Quality stock, though you can not gauratee that you will get show quality from high priced eggs, but your chances are greatly increased. Go to a show and buy(or I should say try to buy) chicks from a show quality hen, and I bet it will not be $2 a chick like those you may get from a hatchery. Depends what you are looking for, if just wanting to get some chickens to run around your yard and lay eggs, then by all means I would get mine from a hatchery, But if you plan to Breed/Show then its in your best interest to start with the best you can afford. I would NEVER pay $50 or more for a dozen eggs, but there are many on here that if they offered up thier eggs(See Lavender Orphington or Silkie Auctions) for ONLY $50 would have a line at thier door to get those eggs, even knowing that shipped eggs are always a gamble, and that 50% of thier hatch will be Roos.

Quote:
really? Can you give an example--you dont have to mention names but maybe I never noticed that before? I do know if I needed a roo from a great high end breeder wait until winter when they are needing to get rid of them and they wind up being cheaper than in Spring....

Most hatcheries actually charge more for eggs than they do for the chicks. I dont see the same to be true in the breeder world. Many breeders sell one or the other but not both. Given the option I would always opt for chicks as my hatch rates have not been very good on shipped eggs. If shipped eggs are 50 dollars a dozen I would quickly spend 10 dollars each for chicks, it would save money in the long run.

Quote:

See my post, I didnt name names, but if you cant figure out, PM me I will name the names, I know you have looked at some of those eggs when you can get Silkies from Meyer for $2.48 and they are gauranteed to arrive alive, they may arrive with only 4 toes, or no feathers on thier legs, but you get what you pay for.

AGAIN, depends what you are looking for just chicks or show quality chances.

Back
Top Bottom