The Rhode Island Red Thread

I love our RIR's, they're such great layers! Mine lay practically everyday whatever the weather and the the eggs are good sizes :)
They're also have very mild temperaments and don't mind being picked up and stroked.

However they are also excellent table birds... I had a few to many cockerels a while ago so decided to put them to good use, so at 7 months old they went on the table and made a great roast lunch.
The RIR's are just a truly great breed :D

That's what I have heard about them. I think I will really like them, and they are a very hearty bird...which I'm sure thats why 4-H and FFA raise them. The 4 I'm getting started laying earlier in the year...so they are young and they are daily layers! yippeee!! So happy to be in the RIR club. :)

Anyone with RIR pictures of roo and pullet? Around 4 weeks old would be perfect! I bought 6 a few weeks ago! They have been SO comical! Picked them for the dual purpose quality and hardiness. My state is known for crazy weather and needed birds that would handle well.

Last edited:

I have 4 RIR and I am in love with them. My daughter is using them for 4H. I have to say that each bird had it's own personality and I hate to say it but I do have my favorite of the 4 but love them all.

My coop and run are finally done! Today I get to pick up my 4 hens from the FFA. I feel like a little girl starting 4H!! Hahaha!!!

Really cute coop!! We just refurbished a shed we had attached to our garage and then enclosed it. I'm hope that as they get bigger, I will be able to open up the run door and let them "range" in the yard while we are out there. We have dogs and my terrier wants to play with them a bit too much. I'm hoping when they get bigger they can put her in her place. lol

Back
Top Bottom