The Rhodebar thread!

This chick "could be" the cockerel above. He is in that group so will look similar regardless. I'll check leg color tomorrow and let you know. Genetically he has to be double barred .

Why is that? is he a RB Male mated to some of your F1 hens? that would be the only way, as F1 Male x RB will give you 50% B/b+ males

The chick/cockerel pictured is RB male over F1 female. The other cross (F1 male over rir) aren't out of bator yet

Quote:
since his father was B/b+ and his mother is B/- he has 50% chance at becoming B/B and 50% chance at beeing B/b+ I can Guarantee you(almost) that he is e+/e+, of the BC1s you showed me I see light males with headspot(e+/e+) and chipmunk stripes, this is what it was missing in the F1s,

Quote:
since his father was B/b+ and his mother is B/- he has 50% chance at becoming B/B and 50% chance at beeing B/b+ I can Guarantee you(almost) that he is e+/e+, of the BC1s you showed me I see light males with headspot(e+/e+) and chipmunk stripes, this is what it was missing in the F1s,
His father was double barred

Ok... boy do I need help @Nicalandia and anyone else...

My first batch of F1 cock over RIR hens just came out of the bator.
Half will be homozygous wheaten. I was really hoping to tell those and sort them off easily. The other half should be heterozygous wildtype. My plan was to keep that half then sort for single barring vs no barring once they were feathered.
Ugh... this IS NOT as straight forward as the hatches of RB over F1 - those were so obvious.
As soon as more of them are dry I'll get pics.

Well not as uniform as I thought now that they are dry. But still struggling with which ones may be homozygous wheaten. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well not as uniform as I thought now that they are dry. But still struggling with which ones may be homozygous wheaten. Thoughts?
I know next to nothing about this cross. I'm guessing it is not as easy as "keep the darkest ones?" Watching to learn...
Actually in this case i will likely keep them all... Just to see how they grow out. But they will be divided into grow out groups and only the most obvious wildtype will be potentials as breeders. In about 14 days I should have about 100 to choose from total from this specific cross. I hatched 100+ in Oct from the other cross which were RB x F1 breedings. I am down to 20 potential breeders out of that group and am continuing to cull. I'll be thrilled with 5-8 potentials out of the second group. Fyi... all those F1 who didn't make the breeding cut from last spring? Laying like crazy! I have eggs coming out my ears. So nice to know productivity is high with this hybrid vigor. ;-)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom