The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Trying to find RIR hens anywhere in my area is next to impossible! I have the black star cockerel and have been feeding him and looking for hens for a few months now. Sure he is pretty but he is nasty to other roosters. I need to find some laying hens so I can start on my sexlink x RIR project like some others are already doing

I see them in my area but i am afraid of them... they say they are pure then something will be really wrong in them... like wrong ear lobe color or leg color.... if I don't know the breeder and he she doesn't show me they know enough about them... I never buy from them.. just me... I want pure as I can get....

Keith
SC
USA

I hatched out some RIR that were supposed to be Heritage but aren't from any of the old lines, although they are standard, (not from hatchery stock), and much darker then production reds. I am going to take a couple of the best layers (when they start laying) and use them to breed with my sex-link cockerel. I am going to work on having a good egg laying breed and then work on darkening the color.

That is my plan, at least.

A lot of the breeders of the heritage RIR close their breeding pens it appears after spring and I guess some depends on the strain you want to use. Some lines are beautiful but seem a little thinner to me, I wanted a Rhodebar that was undoubtedly dual purpose (little heavier) but still met the standards. My RIR were from luckypickens after she started using some of the Autry line roosters.

So far their color has impressd me, though they are still filling out and feather out very slow as a whole.

15littlem according to kippenjungle the offspring would both be barred.

I finally got some better pictures of my Rhodebar Roo and the RIR hens I placed with him.......Your comments are welcome either good or bad, since I am just at the beginning of this project and this is my first with this breed....
jumpy.gif

This is my Roo today at 29 weeks(note the date on pic is wrong old camera) and the larger of the two RIR hens......

This is a little better picture of the same hen...

This is the other RIR hen........again I took this pictures with an old camera and I forgot to change the dates...........

Below is the Rhodebar hen GFF send..........The pic is a little dark on her, the RIR don't like her..........

Back
Top Bottom