The roosters role in the flock

Is your rooster part of the pecking order?

• Yes, he pecks other chickens including hens.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • My rooster never pecks hens.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • My rooster helps keep the peace between his hens.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • My rooster gets pecked by hens.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Both. Depends on the situation.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
My rooster calls his ladies to food, watches for hawks, dogs and cats, and keeps the hens from scrapping too much. He used to be human aggressive but he's been cured of that. He's turned out to be a good bird. Blue Andalusian/Jersey Black Giant mix.
I've even learned the difference between a "hawk!" call and a "cat/dog!" call, and been able to deploy appropriate countermeasures because of my newfound fluency in chickenese.

If you only have one feeder, you could try adding a second one, far enough away that he can't guard both at once.
Twice a day they get 3 plates of the layer feed moistened with milk or whey, and between 9 birds everyone gets a chance to eat. This is in addition to the bucket feeder that is out all day. You would think Gonzalo is fed enough food...

My rooster is an interesting lil dude.
He's a 7-month-old Buff Orpington cockerel named Cheerio. I've never once seen him peck anyone, but that's probably because I'm pretty sure he hasn't matured yet. Though he never gets pecked or pushed around by the hens, which means they respect him.
There is one Rhode Island Red who is a real bully in our flock. She likes to strut around pecking the other hens hard on the face. 😢 We just ordered some blinders which help with that.
Anyway, Cheerio doesn't like the "squabbles" that break out between the hens, so he will just push his way into the middle and they calm down. I laugh every time I see that happen because the hens will stop picking on each other when he intervenes, but they always seem so annoyed when he does it.
Cheerio is great around people and even little kids. I know some roosters can be really aggressive towards small children because of their size, but he's really good about it. He doesn't like being caught but allows you to hold him once you have him.

Oh dear, thatwould be awful!
No, mine is not that bad at all. He is pushy, but has not injured anyone. The nice thing is, I can move him and he doesn’t mind. I am working with chicken psychology now.
Yes, it was, as I liked him very much and not only was he an excellent specimen of his breed but also human friendly to the point I could just call him and he would come running to be picked up for feet inspection etc.

It is the off season. Are any of your hens still laying? Roosters are dominant over hens, so it isn't unusual, especially if the hens aren't currently fertile.
I have not heard of the off season thing.
I have 2 hens laying. I haven’t see him mate anyone, so that makes sense.
In their first winter the hens still all layed every single day. He didn’t peck them them. Do you think there is a connection?

My rooster went from gentleman to grumpy bum. I kept him out of 5 cockerels because he called the hens when he found special treats. While he still does this, when it comes to regular food, he pecks the hens so they leave. He will go to the food as soon as a hen goes to the food, as if she reminded him of it. (The food is always available.) Then he makes her leave. Not only that, he started pecking the lower ranking hens, just for walking by him. No blood or anything like that, just enough to make them be wary of him. He has never been aggressive with me. I can pick him up, no problem, he is ok with that.
All the chickens are 2.5 years old.
Now I am curious how normal this behaviour is.
M
My rooster went from gentleman to grumpy bum. I kept him out of 5 cockerels because he called the hens when he found special treats. While he still does this, when it comes to regular food, he pecks the hens so they leave. He will go to the food as soon as a hen goes to the food, as if she reminded him of it. (The food is always available.) Then he makes her leave. Not only that, he started pecking the lower ranking hens, just for walking by him. No blood or anything like that, just enough to make them be wary of him. He has never been aggressive with me. I can pick him up, no problem, he is ok with that.
All the chickens are 2.5 years old.
Now I am curious how normal this behaviour is.
My rooster only hangs out with humans.
No hens in sight, except for when he is watching his videos. :(
So every once in a while we get our toes pecked. :D

Attachments

• 20200919_135018.jpg
    20200919_135018.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom