The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
morning James. No, for me today it is late.I work a third on Saturday night... Things ran very very late.

I went and took a look at my hatchlings... One pipped, got partway out and died... The other is a very rich black, even his little toes are blacker than rogers. Both the chicks look to have been pure. The one that died was rust and blue/grey. I finished peeling him out, I wanted to see. He looked to be well formed, but had something sticking out.. I think maybe part of the umbilical. Anyway, I moved them at the beginning often pip, nest and all so not to disturb the eggs... Literally moved the whole box... Why would it get part way out then die? It was even part fluffed out, well the bit of him that got out... So depressing... I am wondering if it has something to do with the night she was off the nest last weekend... Oh well... This happens, I know...

Nova, I've had that happen before. It was the internal organs with mine. It was really depressing but I put him out that night because I knew he couldn't live like that. I think also when they don't finish hatching (at least with mine) they get too cold/not enough moisture. I had 4 that did that but we had lost our power and it was early Spring so it was cold at night still. I have since learned that when we lose our power (happens often for pretty much no reason!) i cover the incubator with a sleeping blanket.

morning James. No, for me today it is late.I work a third on Saturday night... Things ran very very late.
I went and took a look at my hatchlings... One pipped, got partway out and died... The other is a very rich black, even his little toes are blacker than rogers. Both the chicks look to have been pure. The one that died was rust and blue/grey. I finished peeling him out, I wanted to see. He looked to be well formed, but had something sticking out.. I think maybe part of the umbilical. Anyway, I moved them at the beginning often pip, nest and all so not to disturb the eggs... Literally moved the whole box... Why would it get part way out then die? It was even part fluffed out, well the bit of him that got out... So depressing... I am wondering if it has something to do with the night she was off the nest last weekend... Oh well... This happens, I know...
Nova - I don't believe it had anything to do with her being off the nest. I've had them do that in the incubator also. It sounds like the one that died would have been a partridge one.

Nova, I've had that happen before. It was the internal organs with mine. It was really depressing but I put him out that night because I knew he couldn't live like that. I think also when they don't finish hatching (at least with mine) they get too cold/not enough moisture. I had 4 that did that but we had lost our power and it was early Spring so it was cold at night still. I have since learned that when we lose our power (happens often for pretty much no reason!) i cover the incubator with a sleeping blanket.
That's why I thank God we have generators here. Happens here a lot too. Couldn't imagine trying to draw water for everything I have. But I do remember one year a long time ago before we had generators. Had a whole herd of beef cattle, flock of sheep, and a few cows I was milking and our power went out. Thank God for friends !!! I had some friends come over and they took all kinds of containers down to the lake down the road and hauled water upon water for my livestock. Then the next day another friend brought his generator over so we could water everything properly. Right after that we bought our first generator and have had one or two every since then. I have two of them right now. One for a backup LOL.

Good morning, I think. Yesterday was better, DH and I went pontooning with his brother and his wife. But apparently while we were gone, the coons staged a daylight raid on the hutch/run across the driveway. Only took out one roo but he was planned to be dinner and I'm tired of feeding these nasties so we've got to move everyone that's left, 16 birds up to the main coops which is already over crowded.

Okay moved 5 so far, including my last 3 BLRW. The other 5 chickens are no longer cooperating. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom