The Southern Bell Special Chicken Tractor!! I've gone & done it...PICS

Pumpkinpup

Poultry Princess
12 Years
Jul 16, 2008
North-West Georgia
Well folks, here it is. I dove in and got my hands dirty and this is the results of my first days efforts.
woot.gif

I have a wonderful hubby who would do anything for me but he works hard and is gone 6 days 5 nights a week so I decided it was time for me to attempt to do something for myself for a change. It's not like I don't have the time.
I have little knowledge of construction type stuff and am in general not considered a mechanical type person either. This was a total by the seat of my pants and I can't even find the level so....who knows.
lau.gif

Tomorrow, wheels and a nesting box and perch. Maybe a roof also, we will see how quickly it all comes together.
13220_chickentractor_001.jpg

13220_chickentractor_002.jpg

Last edited:
You're givng me tractor envy... I'm sitting here wishing I had a tractor so that I could take my girls out front with me when I'm working in the front yard!
smile.png

Great start! Is there some reason there's mesh in the middle of the covered section? If your intention was for the roost to sit over that so that the poop falls through the mesh onto the grass below then I think the mesh needs to have larger holes (I'm not sure from the pic but it looks smallish) - otherwise the poop will just sit on the wire mesh.

Just a thought,
ozzie

Thanks for all the great feedback! I can use all the encouragement I can get
smile.png

As for the question about the hardware cloth in the center section of the floor, it was so that the roost pole would be place above it. It's 1/2 inch hardware cloth so it should be ok. I have used this in the floors of my two small cages that I use to isolate new birds when I buy them and it works fine.
I intend to add a access door from the back so that I can both clean the hutch and give the girls fresh food and water. I also will add a double nesting box with a hinged lid for easy egg gathering at the back.
The correct choice for cost effective wheels at the moment has me stumped. Suggestions would be most welcome.
wink.png

My hubby has recently found some good Chicken Tractor Tires at The Harbor Freight Tool Store==good quality and price---
Do you have one of these in your area??
He is addicted to this place like I am to my chickens!!(LOL!)

Hope you have one of these stores-not to far from you!

BTW_Great Job on the tractor!!

Last edited:
Thanks, 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks ! I'll check that out.
I really appreciate the kind comments as well. I have NO CLUE what I'm doing but I'm having alot of fun and learning as I go. LOL
thumbsup.gif

A junk yard may offer some good and cheap tire options.
Hooray for you taking on a novel adventure like building this! Chicken coop work has been my first major foray into such work, too. Some mistakes and some slow work at times, but also many oh-so-satisfying successes! I may have to freshen up my coops & enter the coop contest in progress to share...
I LOVE the many features in ours that work so well for our needs! Glad you're getting to construct one to fit YOUR NEEDS exactly!

Back
Top Bottom