The story of Seagull our chicken... she's home safe and sound..

LuLuBelle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Last weekend one of our little girls, Seagull, went missing. We named her Seagull because she is a beautiful gray and it just sort of fit her. Anyways, last weekend (Sunday night) she went missing, but our girls have been known to sleep in the trees from time to time, so we didn't think much of it. We went looking the next morning, only she wasn't there.... that's odd, so at this point we begin to worry. I was convinced that she would be back... but no such luck.

We searched day and night, but no luck. I was convinced that a hawk had picked her up, but my husband kept telling me that if that were the case that the hawk would have come back and picked another girl up....

My husband and I looked all over the place for her, but no luck. I was sad... he was sad... we were upset.... but we still kept looking.

Well this morning my husband was in the backyard and looked over at the coop and saw a bird, rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't seeing things. Sure enough, after 6 long very hot (in the upper 90's and 100's) days our girl was back. She went running to my husband! He brought her inside and handed her to me. I gave her a little kisses and told her how much we missed her.

We set up an ICU unit.... (the cat carrier... with dog towel for comfort... chicken feed and fresh water and AC). She stayed in side for a few hours and got some extra TLC, and we have since let her back out with her sisters.

YAY, all our girls are home!!! I am sooo happy she is safe and sound. Not a scratch on her, I wish I knew where she was, but boy was she hungry...

celebrate.gif

Well, I'm a bit bummed, so is my husband, after letting her back out with the flock my husband and I watched a movie. I could see everyone playing and running around the yard.... well a few minutes ago we do another head count, and guess who is gone again?
You guessed it, Seagull.
idunno.gif

So my hubby and I drove around the neighborhood....

Now we have a new theory, one of our birds made rooster sounds today (after 1-2 years).... so our thinking is this, either she has laid eggs somewhere and she thinks they are going to hatch and she is sitting on them some where, OR she thinks she is sitting on fertile eggs and they really arent.

We have had 1 chicken try and make noises.... but it was really a full cockle doodle doo.... so now we have no clue.

If you were a chicken, where would you go?

All the other 8 are back at the coop.

hit.gif

I'm betting she has gone broody and is on a hidden nest somewhere. They have no concept of fertile/non fertile. Her instincts may be telling her "Sit on these eggs. It's what you are meant to do." This can be dangerous for her because of predation. When she come back, put her in a confined area for several hours. Then release her and watch where she goes. She will lead you to her nest. Remove the eggs and lock her up until she gets over her broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom