The Sussex thread!

Will these birds ever lay?

My two SS are 34 weeks as of today and STILL have not shown any interest in becoming part of the layers club. Their combs seem to indicate it won't be next week either. They've looked the same for the past two months - reddish but not the deep red they need to be. Am I being unreasonably impatient? Should I quit calling them freeloaders and coo sweet nothings instead? Please tell me they can't hold out until Spring!

They will get around to it. My girl just started at 32 weeks. Maybe the hatchet I left out by the run had something to do with the change in attitude...jk

They must be getting close. I am in Australia, but here the pullets do tend to come into lay even out of season although it can take a little longer. In season, our lights come in at around 28 weeks.

Here is one of our pullets from last season. I would like to see a little more leg and a touch more black in the tail but we were pleased with her. This one is now in the breeding pen and has produced quite a few chicks for us that we are now growing.

Last edited:
Make sure they are getting enough light 16-20 hours a day. A light bulb with timer works well. Decide how many hours you are going to have the light on then dont change it. As a treat mix 1 cup of crumbles or pellets with .5 cup of yogurt and some water and heat for 1 min in microwave. Serve warm in the morning. my four urban chooks love this on a cold morning and it increases the percentage of protein they are eating. Good luck

It was a lovely day today. I spent some quality time with the girls.

Here's Glenda one of our Sussex. She's getting to be a big girl. Almost as big as Hildy the enourmous cochin at only 7mos.

My 9-week-old Coro Sussex (and GLW sister!) had their very first dust/dirt bath today! It was hilarious watching them try to figure out what they were doing, especially with my GLW starting off and my Coro Sussex trying to copy her. They got it in the end, but it was so funny to watch. I would have thought they'd have done it before now, but either way - it made me a very proud Mumma. ^_^

yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom