The Sussex thread!

How could you tell that was a slipped tendon? I was looking at the pictures, trying to figure out what was wrong!!!

I can't. It doesn't look like one here, but the poster on the other thread said theirs started like this and then got worse. Sorry about that.

Would they still gave use of the leg with a slipped tendon? Earlier I saw it use the right leg to scratch its face.

No. Once the tendon slips out completely, they can't use it. They can't bend the leg. It sticks out straight behind and to the side. You can extend the leg behind them and gently push the tendon back in, then they can bend it. But in my (very limited) experience, it pops right back out. I had one that stayed for about a week, then popped out. I haven't been able to save any of them, even with splints. Now I just culled right away. It's too heart breaking to work with one and, in the end, not be able to save it.

But since your chick can walk and use the leg, I'd wait and give it a chance. It might never slip the tendon.

My SS rooster is so aggressive! When he was young, he was not this way. I'm about ready to introduce him to the hereafter.
Anyone have any insight?

My SS rooster is so aggressive! When he was young, he was not this way. I'm about ready to introduce him to the hereafter.
Anyone have any insight?

I have one who has become a problem, too. He's protecting the hens (including the turkeys) from me. It started when I picked up a hen to carry her into the run. He's been getting steadily worse and I'm tired of it. He's headed for the freezer ASAP. I have another rooster and several upcoming cockerels. It's a shame, because he's great with the hens.

I have one who has become a problem, too.  He's protecting the hens (including the turkeys) from me.  It started when I picked up a hen to carry her into the run.  He's been getting steadily worse and I'm tired of it.  He's headed for the freezer ASAP.  I have another rooster and several upcoming cockerels.  It's a shame, because he's great with the hens.

I am having the exact same issue! I had a broody hen jump off her nest while I was fixing the barricade. I had to catch her so I could close up the coop; she squawked when I grabbed her and the roo jumped at me through the fence. When I came out of the coop he came at me again and I waved my foot at him. Usually that's all it takes. But this time when I turned my back he jumped up and got me. I turned around (still holding the hen) and he came at me again, so I punted him. Now when I'm in the yard I bow up and chase him a little, like I've seen him do to the young rooster I'm holding temporarily.

He's good with the hens, very gentle. But I've got little kids, so that was Strike One.

Last edited:
I do appreciate a true "sports fan."
If this one of mine continues to charge me every time come close to his pen, he will taste the agony of defeat!
I hate it because I love SS; the hens are gentle and low anxiety; they're good layers. He; well he's a bad boy.

American Poultry Advocate - Volume 26 - Feb. 1918 - Page 202
The Proper Color of Speckled Sussex
An article written by Mr. A. J. Falkenstein,
the leading English breeder of Speckled Sussex,
A speech given in 1917 ( read free online)
books.google.com/books?id=jCtJAAAAYAAJ
During this period, many Speckled Sussex had a more ginger colored
ground color rather than the desired dark color. Mr. Falkenstein
popularized the darker color and, following his lead, the Sussex fancy
moved the Speckled Sussex to the lovely mahogany bay ground color
we see today. You can see the change in the tobacco cards issued:
1911 : http://tinyurl.com/ppo2ske
1930's : http://tinyurl.com/mo6aaw2
One of the interesting parts of this speech are the instructions on
selecting for proper adult color while the chick is in chick down.

It's interesting to me that my blond chick from last year has turned out to be the darkest rooster. I haven't hatched many, but so far, all my blond chicks have been cockerels. I know that's not true for everyone, so I'm keeping an eye on them. Also, they have a lot more white on them until they get in their adult feathers.

Four weeks old! First he was Belinda, then Belarry. Now we call him Bemanda. :D

Back
Top Bottom