The Sussex thread!

I have some grown Buff Sussex birds from Walt'z Ark in Colorado and am getting 5 Speckled and 5 Light Sussex from them tomorrow. There is just something about those beautiful round birds that make me happy. The Buff Sussex I got from them are the healthiest, hardiest and best birds, personality-wise. I have 4 original hens and 2 are broody, 2 not. Perfect!

I ordered some from a different breeder last year and not one of them lived. I shared that order of Speckleds with a friend and none of hers made it either. Has anyone else noticed Speckleds to be a little iffy in the hardiness department? I started out with hatchery Speckleds and even those had some issues. They will be fine one day and just lying dead the next.

I haven't had any hardiness issues whatsoever (other than an overly aggressive roo that came-down with hardiness issues after he lunged at me one too many times).

I haven't had any hardiness issues whatsoever (other than an overly aggressive roo that came-down with hardiness issues after he lunged at me one too many times).
lau.gif
That's a hardiness issue that comes with welcome relief! I have no sympathy for lunging-rooster syndrome.

[/IMG]
First experience with chickens and I was hoping for all pullets. But I'm afraid my Sussex may not be cooperating. 4 weeks...what do you think? Are Sussex roos pretty noisy
1f612.png

My SS hens talk constantly from dawn until dusk. Particularly when I get home from work. They come running. I have 2 hens. Raising up 6 potential roosters right now to pick the best and butcher the rest. I love the SS chickens. Good sized and the eggs they lay make it even better.

Back
Top Bottom