The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
No, he isn't. 
He was sitting on the egg though. Maybe they just cuddled up in the nesting box and an egg happened to be in there already. We do have other chickens. My husband will have to check when he goes out to the barn again. 

If the roo is new to the whole egg laying thing they get confused and copy what the hen does for a bit..

A bantam is a small version of a chicken. There are some that do not have a large fowl version. This is a partial list: The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).

A

B

B cont.

D

J

N

O

P

R

S

Not sure where that came from, I was just wondering if the Roo that was "broody" was a bantam because I've had 2 different bantam Roos that sat with the hen in the box and took the chicks from the hen once hatched. They tried to run the hen off and eventually raised them together.

I have two Jubilee Orpington roos that routinely sleep on eggs, but I think it's because they like the communal nest and not because they're playing broody. They're too big to fly up to the coop and we haven't put in a ladder yet. On the other hand my Malines roo is about the same saze but makes a point to roost on the highest roost every night.

I am hoping someone can help answer a question for me. I am wondering ideally what the color of tongue a Svart Hona should have according to standard?

I am hoping someone can help answer a question for me. I am wondering ideally what the color of tongue a Svart Hona should have according to standard?
Black, but few birds achieve that standard at this point. Some of the breeders have achieved it, although I don't know the percentage of offspring that achieve it. The rest of us are working toward it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, there isn't a US standard yet... But I can tell you the very best quality birds in most people's eyes will have a partial or solid black tongue.
Solid black tongues are almost unheard of in the birds at this point and the same goes for the Cemani. In a few years we will be there.
I'm getting a lot of partially black tongues, and black inside of mouth but gray tongue.

Back
Top Bottom