The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boykin2010, Jul 18, 2013.

1. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

If the roo is new to the whole egg laying thing they get confused and copy what the hen does for a bit..

2. bosingleton

bosingleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    East Texas
    My Coop
    Not sure where that came from, I was just wondering if the Roo that was "broody" was a bantam because I've had 2 different bantam Roos that sat with the hen in the box and took the chicks from the hen once hatched. They tried to run the hen off and eventually raised them together.

1 person likes this.
  3. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    My " broody" roo was a banty. I use silky roosters to raise feathered chicks out of the brooder,when I. Put them in the chicken tractor

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Virginia
    Haha that's too funny! But no, he is a Svart Hona. Thyey have both abandoned the egg, so maybe it wasn't even theirs.

5. lauraschicks

lauraschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    I have two Jubilee Orpington roos that routinely sleep on eggs, but I think it's because they like the communal nest and not because they're playing broody. They're too big to fly up to the coop and we haven't put in a ladder yet. On the other hand my Malines roo is about the same saze but makes a point to roost on the highest roost every night.

6. bosingleton

bosingleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    East Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

:)

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    hahaha, I love this

8. lishanicole81

lishanicole81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    I am hoping someone can help answer a question for me. I am wondering ideally what the color of tongue a Svart Hona should have according to standard?

9. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Black, but few birds achieve that standard at this point. Some of the breeders have achieved it, although I don't know the percentage of offspring that achieve it. The rest of us are working toward it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Well, there isn't a US standard yet... But I can tell you the very best quality birds in most people's eyes will have a partial or solid black tongue.
    Solid black tongues are almost unheard of in the birds at this point and the same goes for the Cemani. In a few years we will be there.
    I'm getting a lot of partially black tongues, and black inside of mouth but gray tongue.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by