The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Thanks alot! I really hope that things turn out great.

The photos don't show it--- but these babies are turning out such a beautiful black. There's only one who has some slight pigment on the toenails--- I'm very optimistic. Even if they are all roosters-- I'm going to figure it out. All of these photos of Svart roosters hanging out together gives me a lot of hope. I'll post more updates in a couple weeks! Hopefully then it will be easier to tell.

The person I bought them from is actually a young boy who is in 4H, and I was his first sale! He sold them to me for an amazing price and tells me if I don't get a hen, he will find one for me. It's so awesome to see such young people so interested in a rare breed, and doing their best to keep the black genetics in tact. That kid did a darn good job!
the light toes usually darken up anf is typical for the breed. Most people are breeding for the blackest of the black though and cull those chicks. As the cockerels age in your group they could develop the mulberry coloring. Here is a pic for reference. These in the pic were both sexes around 13 weeks. All very black.
This is a cockerel around 18 weeks with a very mulberry comb. This is one of those same cockerels in the pic above

Last edited:
Thanks, Coyox, I passed that along to the kids! LOL. We can not sex them at all. We have 4 that are 10 weeks old and are sure that one is a roo, the other three, well kinda sure that one is a roo. we have 17 more in the incubator, for the last hatch of the season. The jubilees are coming along great too, they will be ready to breed next summer. The kids are so excited to have different breeds for fair this year. And they are becoming little business people!

Got my chicks! Alas, out of the 6, 2 died in transit. Probably because of the cold weather but who knows... Fortunately the seller refunded my money on the dead ones, and I want to focus on the positive: 4 live, healthy chicks, looking very good. Here is a pic:

I believe these chicks are 3 weeks old. Some have white toes, one has all black toes. Well, makes it easy to tell them apart that's for sure. No idea on gender at this stage of the game, I'll just patiently wait and see.

The Honas are such a cool breed.

I let my sweet Hona girl from Ewe Crazy sit on her eggs. Snow started flying and all six of her babies hatched out. She looks like she's going to be a great Mom. She's the first Hona I have allowed to go broody. So far- she's doing as well as a silkie!

@Purpletie3 Wow that is great! I have heard they are good mothers, I suppose they would have to be in order to survive as a landrace. Amazing the snow did not deter her, I've heard they are hardy in the cold though.

@birdman55 Wish I lived closer to you. I would jump on that, but alas, it would take me days to drive there and days to drive back. Hooray for whoever gets them. They are so lucky!

The Honas are such a cool breed.

I let my sweet Hona girl from Ewe Crazy sit on her eggs. Snow started flying and all six of her babies hatched out. She looks like she's going to be a great Mom. She's the first Hona I have allowed to go broody. So far- she's doing as well as a silkie!
Try to get a picture! I'm sure we'd all like to see a Svart hen and her chicks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom