Ended The Ultimate Egg Dish Challenge

Pics
I have a weird one. It does not look appetizing, but I swear by it. There is some science going on that makes this a better cup of coffee.

Egg coffee; originally a Scandinavian recipe meant to cut the bitterness of poor quality coffee. This came from a book full of old homesteading recipes at my grandparents house. It didn’t have measurements, so these are roughly the measurements I use for my 2 - 3 cups coffee.

• 1 egg
  • A couple table spoons to 1/4 cup ground coffee give or take - depending on how strong, (more than that and consider another egg).
  • 3-5 cups water to boil and another 1/2 cup or so of cold water
Bring the 3-5 cups water to a boil on the stove.

In a bowl, mix the egg with the coffee grounds, (you can include the shell if you’d like) until you have a “muddy” mixture. You can add this mixture into cheesecloth for easy clean up if you want, but I don’t.

Add the mixture to the boiling water and continue to boil for at least 4 mins or until water is desired darkness.

The coffee grounds/egg mixture will congeal and can be skimmed off the top and discarded when your water reaches the desired darkness.

When you finish boiling, add in the 1/2 cup cold water and let sit a couple minutes so the cold water pushes any remaining grounds to the bottom of the pan.

Pour yourself a cup and enjoy! It’s the smoothest coffee ever!

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpeg
    IMG_7363.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 25
I have a weird one. It does not look appetizing, but I swear by it. There is some science going on that makes this a better cup of coffee.

Egg coffee; originally a Scandinavian recipe meant to cut the bitterness of poor quality coffee. This came from a book full of old homesteading recipes at my grandparents house. It didn’t have measurements, so these are roughly the measurements I use for my 2 - 3 cups coffee.

• 1 egg
  • A couple table spoons to 1/4 cup ground coffee give or take - depending on how strong, (more than that and consider another egg).
  • 3-5 cups water to boil and another 1/2 cup or so of cold water
Bring the 3-5 cups water to a boil on the stove.

In a bowl, mix the egg with the coffee grounds, (you can include the shell if you’d like) until you have a “muddy” mixture. You can add this mixture into cheesecloth for easy clean up if you want, but I don’t.

Add the mixture to the boiling water and continue to boil for at least 4 mins or until water is desired darkness.

The coffee grounds/egg mixture will congeal and can be skimmed off the top and discarded when your water reaches the desired darkness.

When you finish boiling, add in the 1/2 cup cold water and let sit a couple minutes so the cold water pushes any remaining grounds to the bottom of the pan.

Pour yourself a cup and enjoy! It’s the smoothest coffee ever!
That certainly sounds interesting.

Lemon Pie Filling

1/4 c lemon juice plus lemon zest
1 1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 1/2 c cold water
3 egg yolks

In a small saucepan, mix together the water and cornstarch,
lemon and zest.

When the cornstarch dissolves add the a cup of sugar and
slightly beaten egg yolks.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture
thickens. Mix the whites and 1/2 c sugar then add them.

If using food color add now.

Remove the thickened lemon mixture from the heat.

Let the filling cool before using.
Made for desert

Lemon Pie Filling

1/4 c lemon juice plus lemon zest
1 1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 1/2 c cold water
3 egg yolks

In a small saucepan, mix together the water and cornstarch,
lemon and zest.

When the cornstarch dissolves add the a cup of sugar and
slightly beaten egg yolks.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture
thickens. Mix the whites and 1/2 c sugar then add them.

If using food color add now.

Remove the thickened lemon mixture from the heat.

Let the filling cool before using.
Made for desert
That sounds delicious and easy. Thank you for the recipe.

Entry #1

Spring Fresh Eggs

- Duck Eggs
- Freshly picked Asparagus Spears from the garden
- Freshly picked Dandelion Flowers
- Garnish with Chili Powder and Dandelion Petals

View attachment 3522221
Never thought about eating the dandelion flowers. Sounds interesting. Looks delicious.

Back
Top Bottom