The vet killed Kiwi!

After talking with the vet, I learned the medicine he gave her was supposed to put her under at all. Its something they give to relax the dog so that pain won't be as traumatic. Its the same stuff they use at groomers to calm a difficult dog. When Kiwi went so deeply asleep right away, he realized that something was out of the ordinary. She just slept all day. They gave her a little glucose and some fluids. Late in the afternoon, her temperature began to drop and the then she was gone.

The autopsy showed the fluid was everywhere inside her and her liver appeared a little enlarged. I hope the biopsy shows something. It won't change anything, but the more I know, the less I feel there was something I should have done differently.

Honestly, I believe the vet did what he could. I felt so guilty and upset earlier, I was looking for someone else to blame. I've lost dogs before; I know that it happens, but in the moment, it's not that comforting. I felt tremendously better after bringing Kiwi home and burrying her.

That is horrible! Poor thing! I'm so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Quote:
I didn't read the whole thread before I posted above. After reading it... perhaps, just perhaps, her peaceful death was a blessing in disguise, since it looks like she may have had a liver problem. Even though it doesn't lessen the pain of losing her, knowing that had she lived she may have been in pain from an enlarged liver, or that your mom may have had to make the decision to have her put to sleep, then maybe this is just one of times when the worst turns out to be for the best. KWIM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Maybe changing the title of your thread would help... "Yorkie Kiwi died at the vet's" sounds a little less vet-bashing than the current one...

Back
Top Bottom