The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Welsummers love their egg song, and the whole world must hear it. They are not a broody breed, but I have had a couple go broody on me - so it's no guarantee.

My Wellie got really loud in the week(s) before she started laying, but now she makes this sweet little chirp, and only sings her egg song when she lays. It's a great song, too, loud and proud!

Forgive me as I show off- I mean, "share."

She's laid 5 days in a row for us, and today's egg was 58 grams. Not bad for her first week!

Forgive me as I show off- I mean, "share."

She's laid 5 days in a row for us, and today's egg was 58 grams. Not bad for her first week!
Nice color!!

My Wellie just started laying again after a molt starting back at end of November at 9 months old.
My color is not that nice, but they finally got up to 59 gms.
Gonna be hatching some end of this month.

My wellie has been averaging about the same. I've been getting a few 86gram double yolkers from a brownleghorn every week and they just started laying a couple months ago. I hope it doesn't cause her problems, they look like huge turkey eggs! It's been subzero temps here, maybe they are just taking to long to go through her egg making machine and once it warms up they will be more frequent and normal large size.

Hello! Glad I found this thread! I have 7 Welsummer chicks and I was wondering if it's possible to sex them at 1 week? I read somewhere you can tell by the pattern on their head. If it's smudgie looking its a cockerel and if it has a darker more defined look it's a pullet. Is this true? If that is the case I have 3 cockerels and 4 pullets. Yes!

Also, I will be keeping one cockerel in addition to whatever hens I end up with. I was wondering what to look for at this age (if anything) for quality. These are hatchery quality birds so I know they will be so so quality but we all have to start our addiction somewhere. ;)

Thanks for letting me pick your brains

Here are the suspected boys. The little chick in front hasn't sold me yet on being a cockerel.

Hello! Glad I found this thread! I have 7 Welsummer chicks and I was wondering if it's possible to sex them at 1 week? I read somewhere you can tell by the pattern on their head. If it's smudgie looking its a cockerel and if it has a darker more defined look it's a pullet. Is this true? If that is the case I have 3 cockerels and 4 pullets.
Yep, it's usually true(see that disclaimer I stuck in there?).

Tho some lines are not as for sure as others.......
.....but by 5-6 weeks the cockerels should be showing definite wattlage with color, by then you should know for sure if your guesses were correct

I am wanting to get a few welsummers for their dark, speckled eggs and I came across this ebay seller. Does anyone have any experience with this person? I am just wanting a dozen to hatch and I am looking for someone who has speckled eggs. I am not looking to breed them so "lines" are not so important to me, just that speckled egg so I have pretty egg cartons, for myself and a few special family and friends.

PS, if anyone has eggs that look that for sale, and want to PM me, feel free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231474446547?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Hi!

I´m from Sweden and I just got med three Welsumer ladies :) I don´t know if they are of good type and I would like to check with you what you think of them! I´m also attaching at photo of an avalible rooster - what do you think of him?

They all are aprox 6 months.

o

Hi!

I´m from Sweden and I just got med three Welsumer ladies :) I don´t know if they are of good type and I would like to check with you what you think of them! I´m also attaching at photo of an avalible rooster - what do you think of him?

They all are aprox 6 months.

o

welcome to byc..nice looking birds ..what are your plans for them ..are you thinking of showing them or just having them for the eggs ..

Back
Top Bottom