The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Sounds like a GOOD PLAN, Opa!

Looks like another round trip to you and over to Harry and home again will be in the works as you both have chicks now!

My hatch is over come Sunday and I will know what makes it.

Thanks,
Bonnie

wee.gif
woot.gif
ONE chick hatched however I don't know if it will make it, he (which it had very little eyeliner and lighter in color) pushed himself out of the shell too early, had some egg yolk and bloody navel. I put him with Sarah, she was clucking all the while. Before he ever hatched out, I saw a peep hole and hurried to put it under Sarah and let them work it out.

Let see if this little guy can make it! He isnt from the lightest egg but medium terra cotta shade. If it is a boy, he will stay with the flock but I have a "stand by" ready for fall if I don't get any boys out of this hatch.

Just came from checking eggs to try and fill a customers order and when I entered the coop I heard the unmistakeable sound of chicks. I checked the Sussex broody and she was sitting on one egg, one pullet, and one cockerel. So I suppose the other three eggs were eaten. Hopefully the remaining egg hatches. Tomorrow I put a nest with fresh shavings in the tractor for her and the babies and get them out of the coop.

Checked this morning and nothing happening in the incubator yet and the remaining egg under the broody is still an egg. This is the first time that I've let her sit on eggs and the fact that 3 out of 6 were eaten makes me wonder if I'll use her again.

Well found this morning, the little chick was dead. Sarah was one MAD momma, clucking and pecking on anyone that dared to get close to her. The last two eggs in the bator, nothing is going on yet. Hope Sarah will get back into the nest and see if she will be broody again. If the momma ain't happy, NO ONE is happy!

It is going to be very very hot for the rest of the next week. Going to have the 111 heat index and hubby would have to work in the factory that is about ten degrees or more hotter. Going to be a very miserable week or weeks to come for him. Gotta stock on Gatorade for everyone.

Hope you both have good results with the remainder of the eggs.

Yes looks like the coming days will be very warm- we start our fair this coming Weds and the kids have about 24 birds going in so we will probably take a fan or so of ours along in hopes of helping to keep them comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom