The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Tonight I tried to candle my 1st Welsummer eggs from our flock that I have in the incubator day 12, and I can't see if they are developing, it is even hard to even see the air cell. Anyone have a secret to candling Welsummer eggs? I am using a powerfull LED flashlight, that worked well for all previous eggs I've candled, but these dark eggs are real tough.

I've been wanting a few Welsummers. Can I ask a few questions about them. How dark do the eggs tend to be? I'd like to have some really dark browns. Also, is there a for sure way to sex the chicks? A local feed/farm store got some in yesterday, but they are straight run, and I don't want any roosters. I'm hesitant to buy any chicks for that reason. I've heard of some color or feather sexing, but how accurate is it really?

I've been wanting a few Welsummers. Can I ask a few questions about them. How dark do the eggs tend to be? I'd like to have some really dark browns. Also, is there a for sure way to sex the chicks? A local feed/farm store got some in yesterday, but they are straight run, and I don't want any roosters. I'm hesitant to buy any chicks for that reason. I've heard of some color or feather sexing, but how accurate is it really?

Search sexing for welsummers. The pullets have a dark defined V on the top of their head and also have defined eyeliner. The cockerels are more washy less defined in those areas.

the egg is color is terra cotta- similar to the clay pots, some eggs can be speckled as well.

Good morning -

I'm still on the hunt for a few female chicks or young pullets. I really don't want to go hatchery stock, but if I do, which hachery has the best stock?

LOVE those peeps Retrieverluvr!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom