The Welsummer Thread!!!!

When I got my first dozen chickens this spring, the farmer threw in a 13th straight run for free. I couldn't remember what he told me it was, but after being on BYC for a little while now, I am pretty positive it's a Welsummer roo. I am allowed to have a roo, but I am only allowed one noise complaint before I have to get rid of him, town ordinance. ANYWAY...

The original plan was to just send him to freezer camp if he became a roo. However, he is the most curious chicken in the flock, he is the peacekeeper and makes sure everyone is behaving, and long story short, I really am starting to like him a lot. I am going to try to hang on to him by alerting the neighbors that they can tell me if he's a problem, and keeping the chickens in the coop until 8am in the mornings. We'll see how it goes, the end result may still be roo stew. I think he's awesome for now though, super handsome, and definitely one of my favorites!!!
D.gif

Here are some pics:

Under 2 weeks

About 3 weeks:

5 weeks with a RIR hen:

Hayduke27 - Yeah thats a cockerel. Besides the obvious comb and watlles the dark chest feathers are also a giveaway.

Hi Y'all. Just jumped on the Welsummers band wagon. My Aunts all had farms and chickens while I grew up in the burbs (Army parents). This year I built my own coop and run. I have two Ameraucanas that I got from the local feed store and a shipment of 8 assorted chicks in this past week (my bared rock did not survive the ship so 7 chicks in the brooder). I reordered my bared rock girl and 2 Welsummer girls and 1 Roo (for my dear husband, he is very excited). The bad thing is My Pet Chicken has been filling mystery orders with my males so I have to wait until Sep for my shipment. I can't wait to get them in, I have researched the breed and have a very good feeling about my choice. Is there anything special y'all think I should be aware of?

Hi Y'all. Just jumped on the Welsummers band wagon. My Aunts all had farms and chickens while I grew up in the burbs (Army parents). This year I built my own coop and run. I have two Ameraucanas that I got from the local feed store and a shipment of 8 assorted chicks in this past week (my bared rock did not survive the ship so 7 chicks in the brooder). I reordered my bared rock girl and 2 Welsummer girls and 1 Roo (for my dear husband, he is very excited). The bad thing is My Pet Chicken has been filling mystery orders with my males so I have to wait until Sep for my shipment. I can't wait to get them in, I have researched the breed and have a very good feeling about my choice. Is there anything special y'all think I should be aware of?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Welsummers! The only thing I can think of that you would need to be aware of, is that Welsummers take a while longer to start laying- usually- but their longevity is great.

Hi guys I am breeding pure bred SQ champion bloodline welsummer and here is my add for anyone who want some hatching eggs

i bought 12 SQ champion bloodline Welsummers from the ohio national poultry show i have 10 hens and 2 roosters i bought them all from a lady who use to be a poultry show judge from 99' to 08 and these are in perfect condition and i have been having hatch rates of around 70-85% and the eggs are 10$ half a dozen or 1 dozen for 20$ you can send me the money via paypal and message me with your shipping, address, state and zip code and i will ship the egg after i candle them to make sure they are fertilized or if you want a quicker shipment I don't have to check them my e-mail is [email protected]

my shipping charges are 5.00-15.00 depending on how close you are to me im in EL PASO TX (ex. your in TX shipping is 5.00, your in NY or farther shipping charge is 15.00)
The photo posted of the "SQ line of eggs" is stolen from Whitmore Farm Marns page: http://www.whitmorefarm.com/marans Pulling this kind of crap is a bad, bad, bad idea Mr. Poultryboy15! Before I jump to too many conclusions I'd like an explanation of why you are using a photo from Whitmore Farms Marans eggs to sell Welsummer eggs. This post stinks to high heavens!

Poultryboy, please edit the photo taken from Whitmore Farm. It is just unethical and Mr Morrow don't appreciate people "lifting" his ads off from his websites and he took a lot of measures to Ebay and similar auctions to take it down.

It is not something we appreciate in breeders doing that. We want honest breeders so if you want to sell Welsummers, eggs or chicks, do yourself a favor and remove the ad photo, enclose your own. We all don't want to mislead people because past members have been "burned" by the ads like yours and got no where close to the egg shell color they expected to get. Unless you got permission or an email permission from Mr Morrow himself, then it will be good and be sure to say "taken from Whitmore Farm website with permission" when you don't have pictures right away. Digital cameras are cheaper and it is a good investiment if you can buy one and saves you a lot of headaches.

Super cool, I'm new to owning a Welsummer she's 4wks and super sweet my sons favorite!

Back
Top Bottom