The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I am starting to have second thoughts on my Welsummer being a girl because it looks like its starting to get a comb and its only 4 weeks old tomorrow:
419158_4191554166787_931480695_n.jpg

7092_4191555326816_1157404241_n.jpg
could still be a girl. the long tail early usually indicates female in my flock. Get a close look at the chest and see if you can see some salmon coloring starting at the edges

Mine are crowing very well and they are only 11 - 12 weeks which I thought was odd. I expected them to sound more like an adolescent boy at this age. I have older roos that don't crow as well.

We are raising our first batch of Welsummer we received in March. They were approximately a week old when we received them. I am guessing they are 11 or 12 weeks. The cockerels are already crowing. Thank goodness we have 15 acres and no restrictions. Our neighbor loves the sounds of our roosters crowing. (She gets free eggs as well.) My question: Is it normal for them to crow so early? Their crow is not adolescent sounding either.
I've had a wellie chick crow at 1 DAY old. Have the video of it too.

I've got wellie eggs peeping in the bator. They are already sold, so they won't be staying long. More wellie eggs are under one of my broodies, they hatch next week.

I've got to move a welsummer cockerel (son of my rooster, Moose) and 3 pullets that I'm keeping to the breeding flock tonight. Then I can get some pictures of them more easily.

I've got wellie eggs peeping in the bator. They are already sold, so they won't be staying long. More wellie eggs are under one of my broodies, they hatch next week.

I've got to move a welsummer cockerel (son of my rooster, Moose) and 3 pullets that I'm keeping to the breeding flock tonight. Then I can get some pictures of them more easily.
Wish you the best on your hatching. My husband has decided of all the breeds we have Welsummer so far is his favorite. When he grew up his family raised BR, RIR and WL and he likes them all but he thinks Welsummer are some of the smartest he has managed so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom