The Welsummer Thread!!!!

One of our teenage roos Cornelius (DH is original I know) has become agressive with the ladies. We think he inadvertantly killed one of our young BCM hens yesterday doing the wild thing. She was fine in the am but when DH went out to check a little later she was dead. Later on in the day he caught Cornelius being rough with another hen. Needless to say, he is in a cage by himself. Needs to cool his heels. Any other suggestions to cool his adolescent drive?

Last edited:
When the rooster grabs the comb of the hen to mount her, he can break the hens neck, especially a young or small hen, or if the hen struggles too much. Sorry it had to happen to yours, I had that happen this spring, she was the runt of the litter.

One of our teenage roos Cornelius (DH is original I know) has become agressive with the ladies. We think he inadvertantly killed one of our young BCM hens yesterday doing the wild thing. She was fine in the am but when DH went out to check a little later she was dead. Later on in the day he caught Cornelius being rough with another hen. Needless to say, he is in a cage by himself. Needs to cool his heels. Any other suggestions to cool his adolescent drive?

Do you have an older lead hen? Sometimes it is good to throw an aggressive hormone-driven teenage boy in with a much older Hen - she will teach him some manners, after beating the tar out of him...

Hi all. Here's a pic of my Wellie. She has just gone broody (!) I was not aware that they were prone to broodiness, I'm thinking of getting some hatvhing eggs for her to set. Does anyone know how Welsummers fare as moms? Thanks!

Hi all. Here's a pic of my Wellie. She has just gone broody (!) I was not aware that they were prone to broodiness, I'm thinking of getting some hatvhing eggs for her to set. Does anyone know how Welsummers fare as moms? Thanks!
they aren't typically broody- I think each hen is unique in their mothering capabilities. you'll have to watch and see

I've seen these and wanted to pick one up. The price on the one I saw is $27 is that about average or over priced? Seems like a lot for so little.

that's the price - if you read up on them, they are actually made by a guy in England and imported - hence the price. you have to think of it as a work of art

Back
Top Bottom