The Welsummer Thread!!!!

That's good advice...I'll do that. Any red flags I might look for?

if they tell you their birds don't have any faults - that's a red flag - either they are lying or they don't know what they are looking at because nobody has perfect birds
wink.png

if looking at pictures - look at the shape of the birds, coloring and leg color. Its hard to tell a lot from pictures, but it gives you a better idea than buying them site unseen.

I truly wish I had invested in a copy of the SOP much earlier than I did. It will help you a lot when looking at birds and knowing what you want to see

DH reports that the first Welsummer egg has been laid, unfortunately it was broken. Don't know if it was broken by the pullet that laid it or by another jealous pullet. LOL. The pullet is approximately 21 weeks old. We have 10 more Welsummer pullets that are the same age. So we should start seeing beautiful Welsummer eggs.
celebrate.gif

These look like poor quality cockerels to me, as I am pretty sure their breast color will contain way too much red/brown as they feather out with their adult plumage. In fact, there are several issues with the color, and I am not sure what to think...are these crosses?
I finally got a good pic of their breast. ...or one of them anyways.

Can you confirm they are pullets at 4.5 mths old.

DH reports that the first Welsummer egg has been laid, unfortunately it was broken. Don't know if it was broken by the pullet that laid it or by another jealous pullet. LOL. The pullet is approximately 21 weeks old. We have 10 more Welsummer pullets that are the same age. So we should start seeing beautiful Welsummer eggs.
celebrate.gif

I see a lot of "first eggs" with one nice puncture hole in them. I think sometimes the young birds get confused by the first egg and peck it to see what it is.

K Epp-
I don't know, you should see more salmon color in the breast of a female than that.
Also, some of the tail feathers are looking a little too long. Could be cockerels.
here are my 4.5 month old pullet and cockerel for comparison.

I am just saying that I usually don't see black in the breast of Welsummers. I hope this helps you decide.

Last edited:
I finally got a good pic of their breast. ...or one of them anyways.

Can you confirm they are pullets at 4.5 mths old.

we hatched out one that looked similar to this a couple years ago- it ended up being a cockerel with hen coloring instead of the cockerel coloring- my kids called him "Boygl" We didn't keep him very long.

Back
Top Bottom