The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi everyone. I have a 10 month old Welsummer pullet. I brought her home with a leghorn buddy she had been hatched with on my friends farm. Both were confirmed laying prior to me bringing them home to my flock. She was laying like 4 times a week a beautiful dark brown speckled egg.

The leghorn has laid almost everyday in the 7 days I have had her however nothing from the Welsummer.

I was wondering. She isn't molting and not being bullied. Is she not laying because she is stressed? How long could it stop her from laying?

Sunday will make 7 days she has been here.

Hi everyone. I have a 10 month old Welsummer pullet. I brought her home with a leghorn buddy she had been hatched with on my friends farm. Both were confirmed laying prior to me bringing them home to my flock. She was laying like 4 times a week a beautiful dark brown speckled egg.

The leghorn has laid almost everyday in the 7 days I have had her however nothing from the Welsummer.

I was wondering. She isn't molting and not being bullied. Is she not laying because she is stressed? How long could it stop her from laying?

Sunday will make 7 days she has been here.
Yeah I would say the stress of the move is most likely your cause. I've had them take up to a month to get fully acclimated to their new surrounding and start laying again. But it could be sooner if she seems to be happy in her new home. It's kind of hard to really know for sure. Is it possible she could be laying her egg somewhere that you aren't finding them? Do they free range?

Well, I haven't yet had time to read all the way through but I was wondering who all has bantams? I'm picking up two baby pairs tomorrow and I'm getting excited about it! I saw in 2009 there was some talk about working on egg color in the bantams, how is that going? Is there a breed standard I can look at?

Last edited:
Well, I haven't yet had time to read all the way through but I was wondering who all has bantams? I'm picking up two baby pairs tomorrow and I'm getting excited about it! I saw in 2009 there was some talk about working on egg color in the bantams, how is that going? Is there a breed standard I can look at?
We still have a long ways to go. There are a few of bantam breeders here, two are SDW breeders and one Partridge breeder. I no longer breeding Welsummer bantams but I do have one hen left that lays a light tint egg. A breeder in Indiana has some of the Van't Weistande bantams but he has been very busy, not breeding as much like he used to.

In order to get the breed standard, you will need to purchase the APA SOP from the American Poultry Association. You can join the FB pages and the WCNA club for more information, from breedings, colors to SOP and we will surely try to help you with any questions you may have on Welsummers.

My Welsummer laid a beautiful egg today! Here it is with my EE cream egg and my Leg horns!

We still have a long ways to go. There are a few of bantam breeders here, two are SDW breeders and one Partridge breeder. I no longer breeding Welsummer bantams but I do have one hen left that lays a light tint egg. A breeder in Indiana has some of the Van't Weistande bantams but he has been very busy, not breeding as much like he used to.

In order to get the breed standard, you will need to purchase the APA SOP from the American Poultry Association. You can join the FB pages and the WCNA club for more information, from breedings, colors to SOP and we will surely try to help you with any questions you may have on Welsummers.
What efforts are being made at this point? Has anyone introduced LF with good egg color to a line and bred back down, or mostly just selecting for darkest eggs from bantams?

Back
Top Bottom