The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Lily
10390483_10200994943795453_4303499706978547036_n.jpg

my wellies..7 weeks old monday..i am happy with these birds..i have 7 of them ..1 roo and 6 pullets..sorry for the out of focas ones and the fence..i should have gone into the pen and taken them ..this is their first day in the big birds pen ..i moved my older 4 birds to the tractor i finished the other day ..i desided to put the big birds in the tractor after spending 2 hrs monday trying to get all these guys out of it ..i also have 11 c, wyandottes that are hiding..it was funny watching them adjust to the grass and the tractor ..they were jumping over the shadow the cover made on the ground .like it was something to jump over ....
and boy when my older birds seen the little ones in the tractor they went crazy..so today i switched them around..seems to be a little more calmer around here..lol

Wow, There are so many nice pics on this thread.
Love the ones out on the country side.
Im sooooo excited, I just received some Welsummer chicks. This is the breed I wanted to start with, but could not find any local. Being impatient I purchased some Wyandottes. I now have a baby Roo and 5 baby pullets. After looking at pics I Cant wait to have a beautiful Rooster.

Little Roo

great looking chicks faith chick. i have some welsummers growing out my first year to try them good luck with yours. where did u get them?
Thanks
I was in a hardware store talking to the workers about construction tips for a chicken coop, when a lady over heard me talking
about chickens. She told me she had some chicks, and by chance they were WELSUMMERS......how crazy is that.
Ive been looking for months. I was able to get what she had, a cockerel and 5 pullets.
It was fate!!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks
I was in a hardware store talking to the workers about construction tips for a chicken coop, when a lady over heard me talking
about chickens. She told me she had some chicks, and by chance they were WELSUMMERS......how crazy is that.
Ive been looking for months. I was able to get what she had, a cockerel and 5 pullets.
It was fate!!!!
wink.png
now that is fate..lol..gotta love it when things fall into place ..
i to wanted wellies to begin with but was at the mercy of the tractor store ..so last yr i got 6 production birds but this yr i ordered my own from cackle.. i plan on breeding them to keep a nice flock of them and so my granddaughter can have some 4-h birds..

i notice my wellies tend to stay away from me ..the roo comes up to me and so do a few hens but they all run as soon as i reach for them..and boy can they run..
yippiechickie.gif

Hi all,
I need a bit of help with my broody Welsummer. She's quite stubborn and despite not having any eggs to sit on, she continues to go straight back into the nesting box at any opportunity. She has also recently started to have a very dirty and dry comb. So dry that it appears to be cracking and bleeding a bit (I do not think my other girls are attacking her in any way). As an added bonus, she's also got a chunk of poop stuck to her fluffy butt feathers (her vent does not appear to be blocked by this). I need advice on a) how to break her broody habit, b) what, if anything, I should do for her poor comb, and c) what, if anything, I should do for her crusty bum feathers.
Help!

i would lock her out of the nesting area in the morning when you let her out ..i would also put some antibiotic cream on her comb ..and for the poop i would fill a bucket with some warm water and try softening it up and try washing it off..

hope this helps ..its just my opinion but i am sure others with more exsperance will give their answers..

Hi all,
I need a bit of help with my broody Welsummer. She's quite stubborn and despite not having any eggs to sit on, she continues to go straight back into the nesting box at any opportunity. She has also recently started to have a very dirty and dry comb. So dry that it appears to be cracking and bleeding a bit (I do not think my other girls are attacking her in any way). As an added bonus, she's also got a chunk of poop stuck to her fluffy butt feathers (her vent does not appear to be blocked by this). I need advice on a) how to break her broody habit, b) what, if anything, I should do for her poor comb, and c) what, if anything, I should do for her crusty bum feathers.
Help!
These questions really apply to all chickens, not really pertinent to the Welsummer Breed thread:

advanced search>titles only> breaking broodies
dry comb
poopy butts.....I just let the hen take care of the poopy butts, it happens and they usually preen it off within a few days unless they are sick.

Last edited:
Hi. Haven't posted in a while, but just hatched out some welsummer chicks and got a bit of a surprise. 2 of the chicks are unusually colored. One looks like it could be isabelle, and the other maybe just very light, but I'd like your opinions, please. Ordered eggs from a seller on here.
Isabelle?

Isabelle?

Here he is in front of the rusty light chick, with a normal chick in back.

Here is my 'isabelle' on the far right, with the light rusty one in the middle, and a normal welsummer on the far left.

And here they are, both in front, with their surrogate mom. Any thoughts or insights welcome.

Back
Top Bottom