The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I'm thinking about changing Coconut's name to Mohawk- these feathers have grown funny since she was a chick. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Haven't been on here in a while just wanted to say a big HELLO!
frow.gif

How's everyone's flocks laying? My Wellies are starting to molt so I expect a BIG slow down soon. My Marans are already in a heavy molt now and just about the only ones laying are few young pullets.

My welsummer hens from you are still laying strong! They are feisty girls and stand up to everyone, they are near the top of the pecking order among mixed breeds. I gifted some of the wellies I hatched from you to a friend, and 2 of hers are now broody.

How old are your welsummers and marans that are molting? Wondering when to expect that for my marans and wells.

Hi everyone. I have 3 wels, at what age should I be able to tell male and female? What are some of the things I would be looking for? Thanks.

At what age do hens start laying?
My breeder quality welsummers start in the 24-32 week range. Hatchery birds would start earlier.

Quote: No molting here yet on my wellies.

Hi everyone. I have 3 wels, at what age should I be able to tell male and female? What are some of the things I would be looking for? Thanks.
When the chest feathers come in, males will have black/red chests and females will have salmon colored chests.

Hi All!!! Hope someone can help me with finding a wellie breeder! I live in Arizona and I would only feel good about starting to ship the end of September. Just too hot otherwise. I really would like to purchase from a private reliable breeder rather than a hatchery. I would love advice here. Thanks so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom