The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Here's a picture of my very "human"

aggressive Welsummer Rooster I named "Red". He was hatched April1, 2014.
WOW, if he is aggressive now he is going to a really aggressive as he matures. I have 2 older Wellie Rooster that are incredibly kind. They get along with everything to include humans/chickens and other roos. I wonder why your guy is so aggressive at such a young age and at least from the Wellies I have owned the roos are all kind

Another question on this aggressive Wellie roo. Did you raise him with a flock of chickens or basically hand raise him. If he has no fear/respect he might try to be aggressive

Another question on this aggressive Wellie roo. Did you raise him with a flock of chickens or basically hand raise him. If he has no fear/respect he might try to be aggressive
i pick my roo up if he gets aggressive with me ..and i walk around with him till i think he gets it ..lol..he really never gets mean ..i dont let him take libertys with any of the hens while i am there either..i chase him off and let him know i am the flock leader and hes not to do that were i can see it ....he greets me most the time when i go in the coop ..its great watching him work ..he shuffles in and gets the young birds in to feed then moves them out so the older birds can eat ..and then he eats last..the older birds chase the younger birds and kind of bullys them but he gets in between them or he hurds them away so not to get caught in a corner..

if i had your bird cluckadoodledo ,i would start picking him up alot ..and when he gets aggrtessive you go right at him ..even if you have to have a stick with you ..not to hit him with it but to control him and let him know your in charge ..if he drops his wings and runs at you , dont run away ..run straight at him and pick him up and hold him upside down by the legs if you have to ..he may squable a bit but he'll calm down in a few minutes..dont ever turn your back on him either ..always make eye contact and talk to him and call him by name ..

sorry i started to ramble ..lol

WOW, if he is aggressive now he is going to a really aggressive as he matures. I have 2 older Wellie Rooster that are incredibly kind. They get along with everything to include humans/chickens and other roos. I wonder why your guy is so aggressive at such a young age and at least from the Wellies I have owned the roos are all kind

Red the Welsummer rooster is slightly over 5 months old. Three days ago he attacked me and my 45# dog repeatedly! He was raised with eleven females, five Welsummers and six Ameraucana's. I purchased him from a hatchery, along with the rest of the chickens. They are all the same age. He was not handled during the rearing process. I don't have a lot of time to play with chicks! I feed them and water them, keep them clean and collect eggs. I do not hand feed them. They free range during the day outside the chicken run and are housed in a large coop 8' by 8' by 9' tall. They also have a large chicken run (15' by 10' by 6' tall.) I think Red lives to fight and service the hens. My dog was amused at being attacked, she thought it was a grand game! For a moment, I thought about letting my dog take Red on, but I don't want her to think killing chickens is ok! Today, while at a festival, I got some great ideas for making hats (fascinators) from chicken feathers. Reds' days are numbered. I may soon be wearing his feathers on my head! I am still struggling with the idea of dispatching such a handsome, protective Rooster.

i pick my roo up if he gets aggressive with me ..and i walk around with him till i think he gets it ..lol..he really never gets mean ..i dont let him take libertys with any of the hens while i am there either..i chase him off and let him know i am the flock leader and hes not to do that were i can see it ....he greets me most the time when i go in the coop ..its great watching him work ..he shuffles in and gets the young birds in to feed then moves them out so the older birds can eat ..and then he eats last..the older birds chase the younger birds and kind of bullys them but he gets in between them or he hurds them away so not to get caught in a corner..

if i had your bird cluckadoodledo ,i would start picking him up alot ..and when he gets aggrtessive you go right at him ..even if you have to have a stick with you ..not to hit him with it but to control him and let him know your in charge ..if he drops his wings and runs at you , dont run away ..run straight at him and pick him up and hold him upside down by the legs if you have to ..he may squable a bit but he'll calm down in a few minutes..dont ever turn your back on him either ..always make eye contact and talk to him and call him by name ..

sorry i started to ramble ..lol

LOL! You're welcome to come over and try to pick Red up! Imagine a bull at a bull fight, that's Red! Imagine being 200ft away, minding your own business, walking to your car and boom, you're attacked from behind! I think Red enjoys his sneak attacks, running at full speed from behind the shed, half the length of a football field! I don't back down and neither does Red. I'll try to get some videos of Red in action, going after my (leashed) dogs! (Two German Shepherds and a Northwest Farm Terrier. ) Red is incredibly stupid to take my dogs on. If they weren't leashed, Red would be history! Red doesn't give up, head down, neck feathers ruffled, wings dropped, charging, sometimes from the ground, sometimes from the air. I'll try to catch the warrior Red and hold him by his legs, but he's managed to evade my grasp thus far with his bobbing and weaving. He's quite the athlete!

That Welsummer Roo is just the right age to go into the cook pot and put his feathers in your Sunday bonnet!
wink.png
For 5 months old he sounds like a mean machine!

It's too bad he has that temperament as he really is a handsome fella. I read that hatcheries usually breed for production & looks vs. personality. I hope you are able to find a roo who is nice & just needs rehoming due to noise or too many males. I have seen a lot of people desperately trying to find a place for theirs for these reasons. And I hope you post a pic of that hat!

Hi All!!! Hope someone can help me with finding a wellie breeder! I live in Arizona and I would only feel good about starting to ship the end of September. Just too hot otherwise. I really would like to purchase from a private reliable breeder rather than a hatchery. I would love advice here. Thanks so much!!!!
Sorry, no breeder in AZ but there is one in California if you would make a trip! There are several more in Washington state if you want to take a vacation!

That Welsummer Roo is just the right age to go into the cook pot and put his feathers in your Sunday bonnet!
wink.png
For 5 months old he sounds like a mean machine!
I agree...no need to pass down the nasty temperment to his offsprings nor getting yourself or your children attacked by an over protective rooster. A roo just like that would end up in my stew pot. There are plenty of really nice roosters to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom