The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I haven't noticed my Welsummers sounding really different to my other hens. I can occasionally pick the sound of them, but not always. They're not particularly vocal. If anything they sound deeper than my other hens do...

Do your Welsummers sound like the other chickens? Mine has a funny voice. Kind of a highpitched voice. I can always her tell her when she is hidden in the garden just by her voice. She was 28 weeks old yesterday and I haven't seen an egg from her yet. I'm really at the point where I'm ready to start thinning out chickens. I have several around that age that aren't laying yet. I think 7 months is long enough to wait. My Welsummer looks like yours that have no black. When I first got here I didn't think she was pretty at all but she has come a long way and is pretty now.
now i read you have a few birds not laying yet at 28 weeks ..is it possible they are filling up on other goodies and not eating alot of layer feed ..or it mite be the kind of layer feed ..have you considered changing the feed brand..i thought it was just one bird not laying yet but now i see there are others in your flock not laying either..and this has me thinking it could have to do with what they are eating ..

Just short of 23 weeks, we got our first egg from Wendy!!

My birds eat a lot of everything. I give them Dumor layer feed crumbles. I make sure they get calcium in their diet. I give them everything I have read about that's good for them. They free range most of the day. I give them scraps. I have 4 chickens that are laying everyday. Someone else suggested that maybe the ones that are laying are hogging all the protein or calcium, can't remember which one. I watch them eat and make sure everyone gets something and doesn't get left out. I give them scraps. Example yesterday I cooked them a pound of liver and ground it up for them. I put egg shells that I had ground up in with it. I gave them potatoes that I had left over and cooked potato skins also. I put oyster shell in their feed so I'm about ready to give up on them. I quit giving them bread snacks for the post and even it was healthy bread. Nice wheat grain or oat grain. I'm really tired of waiting for sure. I have 2 New Hamps that lay me a real nice egg everyday and the other two nothing. Very frustrating. My chickens don't like pellet feed. I gave them that and they didn't eat it.

Here are the babies we are growing out. Out of the 12 we have there are 3 pullets and 9 cockerels. They are growing out with some GLW and are just about 8 weeks old.

Of course no one wanted to hold still for the picture...lol

My birds eat a lot of everything. I give them Dumor layer feed crumbles. I make sure they get calcium in their diet. I give them everything I have read about that's good for them. They free range most of the day. I give them scraps. I have 4 chickens that are laying everyday. Someone else suggested that maybe the ones that are laying are hogging all the protein or calcium, can't remember which one. I watch them eat and make sure everyone gets something and doesn't get left out. I give them scraps. Example yesterday I cooked them a pound of liver and ground it up for them. I put egg shells that I had ground up in with it. I gave them potatoes that I had left over and cooked potato skins also. I put oyster shell in their feed so I'm about ready to give up on them. I quit giving them bread snacks for the post and even it was healthy bread. Nice wheat grain or oat grain. I'm really tired of waiting for sure. I have 2 New Hamps that lay me a real nice egg everyday and the other two nothing. Very frustrating. My chickens don't like pellet feed. I gave them that and they didn't eat it.
i would stop all snacks and scraps from the house and treats..just let them eat their feed and of course the oyster shells and grit free choice ..i bet they are filling up on the other stuff and not getting enough out of just layer feed ..i use dumars as well ..but i notice when i give them lots of treats or scraps from the house they slow down on their laying ..it maybe worth a shot ..it doesnt take long to get filled up when you think of their crops are only the size of a gulf ball ..so free ranging eating all the bugs and grass they want then feed ..i would bet they are very happy birds ..

Just short of 23 weeks, we got our first egg from Wendy!!
all the colors of the rainbow ..lol and sized to eat .
thumbsup.gif
..congrats on getting your first eggs ..it always amazes me the funny shapes and sizes they lay ..i had one last yr lay one that looked like a hotdog ..it was long and shaped just like one ..lol.it had 3 little yokes in too ..

all the colors of the rainbow ..lol and sized to eat .
thumbsup.gif
..congrats on getting your first eggs ..it always amazes me the funny shapes and sizes they lay ..i had one last yr lay one that looked like a hotdog ..it was long and shaped just like one ..lol.it had 3 little yokes in too ..
Too funny! I have one hen that continues to lay long shaped eggs. She is an EE. The two brown eggs were the new ones, the speckled one from a welsummer and the one on the right from a BO. The others are from my year old hens, so they've had some time to get to that size
big_smile.png
. The two pullet eggs were perfect sized to fry up and put on top of my halved english muffin!

Back
Top Bottom