The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My welsummers never start laying before 24 weeks, usually in the 24 to 32 week range. (breeder quality) Hatchery wellies can start earlier.
Ah okay, cool thanks
smile.png
Good to know that. Mine did come from a well known breeder, so that makes sense!

1.) I was told by breeder that this girl is a Welsomer and would like some confirmation from some smart folks. Unfortunately this breeder was like a puppy-mill breeder except it was chickens and he had Welsomers, Wyandottes, Java's, Leghorns, Orpingtons and others and I don't know how he kept them from interbreeding.

2.) Why doesn't she have any sign of a comb? She's almost 6 months old. I bought a Mottled Wyandotte (my avatar image) at the same time and they were same age and size at the time but the Wyandotte J-Lo has matured much faster than Welsomer Louise) Will she ever have a comb? Do they develop slower than other breeds?

Last edited:
1.) I was told by breeder that this girl is a Welsomer and would like some confirmation from some smart folks. Unfortunately this breeder was like a puppy-mill breeder except it was chickens and he had Welsomers, Wyandottes, Java's, Leghorns, Orpingtons and others and I don't know how he kept them from interbreeding.

In this case, maybe he didn't.....that's not a Welsummer.

2.) Why doesn't she have any sign of a comb? She's almost 6 months old. I bought a Mottled Wyandotte (my avatar image) at the same time and they were same age and size at the time but the Wyandotte J-Lo has matured much faster than Welsomer Louise) Will she ever have a comb? Do they develop slower than other breeds?
She is not pure, a cross of some sort. Possibly a Welsummer/Wyandotte cross.

Back
Top Bottom