The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My wife and I decided to start our on backyard flock and incubated a dozen Welsummer eggs. We hatched 11 and all are doing well. Unfortunately we ended up with 7 Roos out of the bunch. I separated out the 6 cockerels that are needing a new home today. They are 8 weeks old and doing great. Here is a few pics of what of the bunch we decided to keep.

[URL=http://s39.photobucket.com/user/roscoepcoltrain/media/0BCC2064-7870-4842-ADC4-7960D596E793.jpg.html]

[/URL]

I have 4 Roos, wanting to keep one. How did you pick?

Mainly disposition and size. He was the largest of the Roos and also seemed to be best temperament wise. He seemed to be a little less interested in proving "he's the man" than his counterparts. Also, when we introduced 10 Australorps that were 3 weeks younger than the Welsummers, he was A LOT less picky towards them than his brothers. Not sure what he'll be like when the hormones kick in with the group, but I figured I'd at least start with the more "docile" amongst them.

Last edited:
I agree with RossB plus keep in mind that many roosters undergo a 'change' in behavior when they are a year old. Mine did, not becoming aggressive per say but a little more rebellious. After a year,they both decided that it was fun to occasionally attack my heels from behind. Nothing real vicious and other than an occasional toenail scratch, no injuries. Other times these boys intervene when my Lavender Orpington does turn aggressive with the intention of causing bodily harm and sends him scooting. I really can't condemn them for their occasional lapse in good behavior.

One of my cockerels (9 weeks old) has feathers growing out of his legs, thinking that's not a desirable trait? How does that happen?

Interested in knowing the answer to that myself as one of my 2 Welsummer cockerels sprouted a feather in place of a leg scale. It was a perfect little feather the same shape and size as the scale. It hung around for about 4 months and then disappeared never to return.

4 years with chickens in the backyard, and I still have lush green grass...

...who would have thought...?

Back
Top Bottom