The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Doing research on wellsummers some say they do well in confinement others say no. I will definitely have to raise them confined to many predators in my area not to. Will they be a good confined chicken?
big_smile.png

My flock of 5 will not be turning a year old until May 2017 and 4 started to lay November and December. My Winnie Welsummer is the only one who has not started laying eggs yet. So I'm going to give my opinion about Welsummers, even though it is limited.

My Winnie does great in a confined area where I really don't need to let them out to forage but when I do, I'm always outside with them working on the garden or pulling weeds. They follow me every where I go gobbling up any little juicy critter that gets pulled up. I usually let them out closer to the time they'll be going to bed. They will go back into the coop like clock work. Even though I found making a certain noise and giving them dried mealworms while in the coop, they come flying back no matter what time of day it is. I've asked people about the personality being more on the shy side and most of the time does not socialize too much with the other gals. I thought something was wrong with my Winnie. One gal who has raised Welsummers told me she considers it as being "reserved" and a very normal behavior for Welsummers. Ever since she told me that, that's truly how they are. As well as very humble and quite. Winnie is a sweetie pie and beautiful breed. Since she hasn't started to lay eggs yet, I don't know how she will sound like when she announces, "I've laid an egg!" High pitch, low, combo, etc. I can tell who is laying an egg by their announcements which usually doesn't last long anyway. At the same time I did also pick out my breeds by if they did tolerate confinement, docile and friendly. But I did/do spend time with them especially when they were chicks. For example, I got a Sicilian Buttercup who to come to find out after I got her to not to be a friendly breed, flighty and doesn't like confinement. I'm going to credit the time I spent extra with her or maybe that description is off because she is a living doll as well as the mother hen in the coop and handles confinement like it really wasn't. Her picture is my avatar.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of professionals answering your question much better, but I've become a chickaholic and jumped at the opportunity to talk about my girls. Adding a Welsummer to your flock will be a great choice.

Last edited:
Doing research on wellsummers some say they do well in confinement others say no. I will definitely have to raise them confined to many predators in my area not to. Will they be a good confined chicken?
big_smile.png

I think so much of that depends on how much room you give them. Chickens do not do well with crowding, and that includes Welsummers. While they are not a large breed (like an Orpington) they are quite active. Mine are pastured in moveable coops with electric net fences, which deters my many predators, and are terrific foragers and quite active no matter the weather. They are not aggressive with each other, but then again I give them lots of space. My tendency would be to say that if you don't crowd them, and if you give them things to do with their desire to forage (like deep litter that you refresh) then they can be happy in a confined space. I have found my Wyandottes to be much more the laid back, couch potato bird......as an example of a good confinement bird.

I also have found my cocks to be very watchful and protective of their hens, which helps with the threat of aerial predators. They are the best flock protectors I have had. Best of luck with your choice.

big_smile.png

How much room will they have? I have a really small coop/run so mine actually free range in our suburban backyard during the day. I do not have issues with predators at present and I pray this continues. That said, I don't think my welsummer hen would do well being confined in the coop I have. Of the two hens I have currently, the other is a buff orpington, Hachi ( my welsummer) is the more interested in searching for things in the yard to eat. They're great scavengers which makes me think that's what they would prefer? Now, your run may be much larger than mine so it may not matter so much. She is definitely the boss, between the two I have.

I have this coop so really leaving even the two I have in it other than when I need them up during a day here or there isn't an option.
https://www.wayfair.com/Trixie-Pet-Products-Trixie-Chicken-Coop-with-Outdoor-Run-55961-TXI1000.html

Still waiting on my Welsummer to start laying. She's shaking her tail feathers which she never did before, her comb has really taken off lately and is bright red but no squatting. Given her personality (jumps up on the trampoline rails to take in her domain), it's hard for me to imagine her squatting for anyone!
lau.gif

I just did the math and I think she's only 23 weeks, though, so maybe a few more. That means my BO laid a bit early! I've been getting an egg a day from her (missed two days) for a couple of weeks now. I'm impatient. It's my special gift.

My hens are back in production after their big fall molt. These are 2-3 year olds and I continue to be impressed with the color, size and abundance of their eggs. My annual production count from last year was 180-200 eggs per bird. Most laid consistently at 4.5-5 eggs/week, with 10 weeks off for a huge molt and about 2 weeks off in the very heat of summer.

My hens are back in production after their big fall molt. These are 2-3 year olds and I continue to be impressed with the color, size and abundance of their eggs. My annual production count from last year was 180-200 eggs per bird. Most laid consistently at 4.5-5 eggs/week, with 10 weeks off for a huge molt and about 2 weeks off in the very heat of summer.

Thank you so much for posting those pics! So beautiful! Is that a particular hen laying the speckled egg or do they vary from day to day?

Thank you so much for posting those pics! So beautiful! Is that a particular hen laying the speckled egg or do they vary from day to day?

My hens lay either a matte egg or a speckled egg. I don't see them vary, at least with those who lay the big speckIy pattern. I try to keep a mix of both, but the majority of mine lay the solid matte finish which I like as I strive for a deep terracotta color.

Here are the eggs I entered in our fair this past August from my two year olds, with a mix of both.

Last edited:
How much room will they have? I have a really small coop/run so mine actually free range in our suburban backyard during the day. I do not have issues with predators at present and I pray this continues. That said, I don't think my welsummer hen would do well being confined in the coop I have. Of the two hens I have currently, the other is a buff orpington, Hachi ( my welsummer) is the more interested in searching for things in the yard to eat. They're great scavengers which makes me think that's what they would prefer? Now, your run may be much larger than mine so it may not matter so much. She is definitely the boss, between the two I have.

I have this coop so really leaving even the two I have in it other than when I need them up during a day here or there isn't an option.
https://www.wayfair.com/Trixie-Pet-Products-Trixie-Chicken-Coop-with-Outdoor-Run-55961-TXI1000.html

Thanks for the feed back but to many coyotes and bobcats to let my chickens free range ring the dinner bell. As far as my run/coop approx 15 x 30 and I plan on around 14 birds so should be big enough, going to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom