The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Here is my Welsummer chick. She is about 3-3 1/2 weeks old and spent her first night in the coop. Is this abnormal tail or is this a sign of a cockerel. She has a small yellow comb. I'm hoping pullet but do not like that tail!

She is close to the bottom of the pecking order so far and is one of the most skittish of me so far. Thoughts?

I have one welsummer chick, just about 5 weeks old. I'm concern that she is infact a roo. She has always been the first one to greet me at the brooder pen. She is very protective of the other chicks, she seems fearless! I'm attaching some photos I took on Friday. Let me know what you think!

I have one welsummer chick, just about 5 weeks old. I'm concern that she is infact a roo. She has always been the first one to greet me at the brooder pen. She is very protective of the other chicks, she seems fearless! I'm attaching some photos I took on Friday. Let me know what you think!

At 5 weeks, with that eyeliner, and that yellow of a comb.....I call pullet.

Pullet.
Cockerel would have a bigger comb and black coming in on the chest at this age.

I say its a pullet by comb size and color and eye liner. If no males are around a pullet will become bossy. I have also noticed that pullets will set tail feathers faster than males. I have seen this in 4 diff breeds I have chicked.

He's good with his hens as well real good this is why he is now the free range roo. I've raised him from 2days old only he's a bit stiff legged no offense but walks like a nazi solider due to winter I assume.

Poor baby -- I hope the free-range exercise helps his stiffness. I used to put MSM in our dog's water when his joints started to stiffen with age.

Back
Top Bottom