The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Mervin,

1st photo both girls. The 2nd photo....girl. The 3rd photo I say girl and 4th photo I just can't commit can't see enough of the chick, in the last photo you have one boy (on the right) and the other is a girl.
smile.png

Quote:
The chick in the first and last photo with the extra spot behind the eye, have you (or anyone else) seen much of that? I have one hen producing those and I figured it is actually a Pene X Wellie and I sell them as unsexed, dark egg layer mutts as Pene of both sexes have markings on their faces.

I forgot to mention that I concur with PinkChick on all of the rest. Good pictures.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Len~

I have only seen that in birds that have been crossed, but maybe someone can chime in with their experience. I had 3 batches of eggs shipped in from 3 different breeders that I am not impressed with as the babies did not hatch out to be Welsummers and now that they are feathering out they are definitely not pure Welsummers and all of them upon hatch had funky eyeliner. I am going to just sell them as mutt layers. Bummer!

WENT TO A POULTRY SHOW YESTERDAY WE SHOWED A PAIR OF WELSUMMER.
WE WON #1/Best Of Breed. with one of our hens.

We also won reserve of our class SCCL with a RIR bantam
yippiechickie.gif

Yes Josh, pictures please.

I am just starting to grow my BYC flock after having just a few birds for egg production, red star and GLW but since I am now a BYC follower and can build my flock, I ordered 11 hatchery Wellie chicks just for dark eggs. I read this thread to learn and I love it. Pictures are very helpful.

My order is due to arrive the first week of May from Strombergers in MO

What line are the welsummer chicks that you just purchased? By chance could the be out of hatchery stock. I used to have some hatchery stock birds, and when i hatched from them, the chicks were pretty consistent, but there were also some off colored ones.

Now I have Channing Grisham and John Hall birds, and they are VERY CONSISTANT!!! And the eggs are great, ill have to get some pics of them up on here, along with my bantam welsummers. If anyone is interested in Hatching Eggs or chicks from Top Welsummers(both bantam and LF I will have them available now).

I had also sent some eggs(Largefowl Welsummers) to a friend that was going to be visiting his mom in Holland, and check out new bantam stock for the USA. And he said that the eggs that I sent over were darker eggs than one of the top breeders over in Welsum, but he focuses more on color than eggs. So hopefully they have a good hatch from the eggs, and maybe a new line from them!

Congrats on the wins! I also sent pics of my welsummer bantams to a dutch breeder, and he said that they are both SHOW QUALITY and great breeders!

Nate

Back
Top Bottom