The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Could they be laying elsewhere? Any signs of an egg eater in the group?

Do they have rooster that they could be squatting for? My Wellies have never squatted for me but they do for their roosters. I've never thought about it before but I think that they are the only breed that a hen has never squatted for me when I am catching them.

Nope, no chance they're laying elsewhere and no egg eaters. Girls have all been on lockdown since we had a bobcat snatch a hen in the middle of the day several weeks ago.

No roosters in their pen that are old enough to start mating, so no, I've never seen them squat for a rooster.

I'm in and out of the coops pretty regularly during the day and have never seen one of the Wellie girls in the nesting boxes. All the other girls we have of this same age group started laying well over two months ago and I've been patiently awaiting a terra cotta egg! I had heard that Welsummers can be late layers, but I've never had hens take anywhere close to this long to start laying, ever! I just don't get it!

I mean, I know all I can do is wait, I was just curious if this is common with Welsummers or if I just have two super late bloomers?

Lensters, I did see the white spots on the hen, I could not be very sure if it is due to the camera flash or what.

I wish there were better pics of the Prince and his birds, particuarly from his OWN flock, the royal HMR flock!

Froggy with chickens now! :

We thought maybe the change from several hens to one, being in a new place, and maturing may have been the cause of his actions.
hugs.gif

I would not get another roo until you have at least a half dozen hens for him. It is not fair to the sweet hens to be mated that frequently by the roo. A roo can actually stress out the hens to the point that they stop laying. . . . .

If he was a good boy in his previous home, then there is a good chance that he would be a good roo in another place.​

Quote:
My girls did not squat either. I didn't see them investigating the nesting boxes ahead of time. The only clue I had was the combs got real red right before ( within 2 weeks) the first egg was laid.

Quote:
Pink that is such a nice looking roo!

I'll have to say after reading about this incident that you are amazing with your chicken understanding and insights.
Most of us would have cowered or kicked upon a surprise attack, but your correct and brave, instinct; was to pin him.

I chuckled at the thought of carrying a roo around in a snuggly....you actually did it!!

I think you should be known as the official "Pink Chicken Whisperer of BYC"
big_smile.png

Hope your boy turns out to be as smart as he is pretty!

Quote:
Thanks for posting this EweSheep. My initial impression is that these girls are a bit more "buxom" than our American version,
but wonder about the upright tail set/angle?

I figured I throw a couple of shots of my roo on here. He's starting to fill in pretty nice, but he's got some flaws. He'd probably never go to anything more than a county fair anyway. He's a pretty decent roo. He's decent to the hens and the kids, so I guess we'll keep him around for a while. I just thought I'd share. It was getting dark, so the pics aren't super. He actually looks much more stout in person. I couldn't resist the last pic. As soon as I got the camera out, he's like "hey, get load of me." I don't know what it is about free ranging, but as soon as I open the gate he always makes a beeline right for that RSL hen. She doesn't get a couple of feet out the door, then "WHAM"!!!

47715_biscuit-1.jpg

47715_biscuit-3.jpg

WARNING!!! Adult chicken content

47715_biscuit-4.jpg

Last edited:
RE: Prince Charles
The rooster made me question whether they're Wellies too. I wouldn't have a hard time believing that they were actually Welbars, which is an autosexing cross b/t a Wellie and BR. According to what I've read, they were once pretty popular in the UK.

Last edited:
Quote:
Pink that is such a nice looking roo!

I'll have to say after reading about this incident that you are amazing with your chicken understanding and insights.
Most of us would have cowered or kicked upon a surprise attack, but your correct and brave, instinct; was to pin him.

I chuckled at the thought of carrying a roo around in a snuggly....you actually did it!!

I think you should be known as the official "Pink Chicken Whisperer of BYC"
big_smile.png

Hope your boy turns out to be as smart as he is pretty!

Thanks CP! Thanks Louie!

I loved the snuggie idea and it worked great. I only used it for a week. Right now he is being good, he knows I'm going to get him and pick him up so he just stands there. I washed the snuggie and gave it back to my DIL, I should have had my DH snap a photo of him in it. Awww the poor little baby. The snuggie was easier than holding him under my arm while trying to do chores.
We will see if he keeps up the good attitude, he only has one week left of humilation treatment and then I will leave him alone for a while to see how he responds. I think it helps to look at them like any other pet or as a very young child that just doesn't know any better and when there is a problem work with it to the best of my ability.
I don't know about the whisperer thing.....probably more like Chicken Yeller......cause I know I spouted off a few words to him and I wasn't whispering.......LOL!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom