The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
I am certainly not an expert, but they look like decent enough birds to me. The pictures look like they could be our on birds a few weeks back. The rooster especially looks like mine and, as I understand it, the comb may have too many points. I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be 5 or 6. Other than that, I'll bet he'll really fills in over the next month or so. After looking at the birds at my county fair at the end of last month, I'm pretty confident I could let my kids enter our rooster in it. Biscuit, our Rooster, would have definitely been in the running. I think they look fine for a hobbyist.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now I have to check on Freecycle (sp) and see if anyone is giving away a GENTLY used snuggie. I have a YOUNG speckled sussex roo that is due some high quality snuggle time. . . . He thinks raising his hackles is the appropriate way to greet me - - -
gig.gif
gig.gif

BOY, does he have another thought coming !
lau.gif
lau.gif

How about leapord print one *RAWR* I have a perfectly new fugly one that my Mother in law gave me for christmas....after we were shopping together and I said I HATED them....evil woman

Southpaw........I'm certainly not an expert, but they look pretty good at this stage. They are still young so time will tell as they fill in more. The rooster does have too many points on his comb (supposed to be 5), but as I understand it, that part is pretty easy to fix. I'm not sure about the pinched/folded part at the front of his comb, whether that's bad or not. His tail angle may be off, but it could be the way he's standing or his young age. It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but it does look like he has really good chest color.

Again, I'm not an expert, I'm still new to this myself, but it's just what I see. And I don't see this in your pictures, but feather stubs on the legs are very bad in wellies. So do not breed any of them that have feather stubs on their legs/feet.

Oh and welcome!

Quote:
Now I have to check on Freecycle (sp) and see if anyone is giving away a GENTLY used snuggie. I have a YOUNG speckled sussex roo that is due some high quality snuggle time. . . . He thinks raising his hackles is the appropriate way to greet me - - -
gig.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif

How about leapord print one *RAWR* I have a perfectly new fugly one that my Mother in law gave me for christmas....after we were shopping together and I said I HATED them....evil woman

gig.gif
OMG that is so freakin funny!
gig.gif
Both the snuggie and the MIL!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Welcome southpaw from another southpaw!!!!

They are still pretty young and need a little more time to mature. It's either my monitor or my eyes (probably both) but I can't see the rooster very well to comment on him.

Do you have more photos of them you would like to share?

Quote:
gig.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif

I don't think my young roo will care if it is PINK or LEAPORD print !
lau.gif

The leapord print might even remind him of his mother - - - - be NICE to your moma - - - that's the rule I want to teach !
gig.gif

Well my broody Ameraucana hatched out all 8 of her eggs. I originally gave her 9, but a week ago she kicked out an infertile one. I guess she wanted to prove to all of you that an Ameraucana CAN be a good broody.
tongue2.gif
She's a fantastic mommy too.

I put mostly olive eggers under her, but I did put 3 wellie eggs also. I'm pretty sure 2 of them are pure welsummers. The 3rd, I'm not sure on. I couldn't get a real detailed look at them to be sure yet, just got the chance to take some quick pics before they disappeared back under mamma hen.

I'm having trouble uploading right now, but I'll put up some pics in a while and see what you guys think.

Back
Top Bottom