The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
No, there is NO Silver Duckwings or Golden Duckwings LF in the US.

Bantams do not have dark eggs but we are working on it to get darker each generation. It is more like a medium tan to dark tan color but no where near of the larger cousins.

Quote:

Bantams do not have dark eggs but we are working on it to get darker each generation. It is more like a medium tan to dark tan color but no where near of the larger cousins.

This may be a really dumb question... but can you breed the bantams and LF together to produce it here in a few generations? Which color is dominant?

Quote:
I don't have any birds now but everyone else is doing well. I am working on getting a 4-H program in VT going. Then I will hopefully hatch some favs for that project.

Henry

Quote:

This may be a really dumb question... but can you breed the bantams and LF together to produce it here in a few generations? Which color is dominant?

You CAN do that but the colors will vary depending on the lines. It would take you several generations to get down to the size and egg colors. You would have to hatch out as many as you can, anywhere from 100 to 200 chicks to get a few GOOD ones out of the lot. And expect some throwbacks in sizes when it does happen, cull HARD.

I am going to try it on my German bantams over the LF roo to see what I would get as a project birds. If they don't make the standard, they are gone to a new home.

Quote:
I don't have any birds now but everyone else is doing well. I am working on getting a 4-H program in VT going. Then I will hopefully hatch some favs for that project.

Henry

wink.png
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
everyone!

Pink..........nice eggs! The solid ones are pretty dark! Now all I need is a broody girl!

I did a test hatch for the New Years hatch of 4 wellies to test my girl with Moose and see what I get out of the pairing. I *think* 3 of the 4 are females, not sure on the 4th.

I have easter egger, barred rock, black sex link, red sex link, and silver laced wyandotte hens. If I get a Welsummer rooster will some of their chicks be dark brown egg layers?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom